no one stronger then me

ayinde

I want to build a hulk like character one of his powers will give him a bonus of 1/2 the strength of the strongest character on the battle field. this is for a mostly street level game. so str 10 is far more common then any other im thinking -1/2 disadvantage or even -3/4 but what sounds right to you

Re: no one stronger then me

I think I'd want to know more about the special effects before I said what sort of build made the most sense. Might be straight STR bought with a limitation on how much can be used. Might be an Aid that kicks in and fires off again and again until your STR exceeds that of the highest on the field.

The simplest way would be to build for the highest possible strength (in a street level game, the GM could probably apply the "absolute effect" rule at 30 Str or so), and limit it based on how uncommon that amount of strength would be.

For a rough estimate:

Str 10 (+5) - Very common, no limitation

Str 15 (+8) - Less common, maybe -1/2

Str 20 (+10) - Fairly uncommon, let's say -1

Str 25 (+13) - Rare, I'll call it -2

Str 30 (+15) - Very rare, -3

That gives a cost of 5 + 3 * 2/3 + 2 * 1/2 + 3 * 1/3 + 2 * 1/4 = 9 1/2

That's pretty close to a -1/2 limit overall, so I'd write the final power as:

+15 Strength, Only up to Half the Highest Strength Around (-1/2); 10 points.

That would really depend on what the GM considers the "max" strength allowable in the campaign. For instance, RAW, there is no way to build an ability that would let him have 1/2 of ANY strength, the player has to determine what the "max" of this ability would be which would affect the limitation.

From what you are describing, if STR 10 is the common, then he will generally only get 5 STR from this power. If the "max" str of this campaign was 20 (Street level where powers are disallowed and NCM is enforced even for villains) then he needs the ability to grant him up to 10 Str, and he will usually get 5 STR from it, so at that point he buys +10 STR, with the limitation running around -1/2 (he pretty much always has +5, but he can expect to get up to +10 at times.)

On the other hand if the badguys don't always have NCM and you might see a boss with 50 STR from time to time he will need +25 STR, but since he will almost always only get about +5 of this a larger limitation is in order (-2 would probably be about right if really high strength guys are rare.)