Light Wall

Lord Twig

So I finally picked up a copy of Champions Complete and I am loving it! I'm a bit of a mechanic at heart. I have made dozens of characters using the old 4ed rules and now I'm trying to recreate some using the 6ed rules to learn how they work. Some big changes, but overall I am liking them.

So to my question. I have a light-based character that projects rainbow colored light. One of her powers is the ability to create a solid wall of light, like a force field, but much larger. She uses this to throw a barrier in front of innocents to protect them from whatever might be coming their way (villians, falling debris, etc...) or as an extra layer of defense for herself and teammates when something powerful is coming their way.

So the first thing that comes to mind is the Barrier power, but obviously it will need some modification. I am looking at about 50 active points and then adding 1/2 Endurance. It should cost End to maintain. It has to fit in a Multipower with a 62pt reserve. I was thinking around 10 rPD and rED, or a little more if I can afford it. I see no reason why she couldn't move it or change it's shape, but I can sacrifice that if it is too expensive. It will be obvious, but does not need to be opaque (things on the other side will just be rainbow colored). It should be able to cover a bit of area, but doesn't need to be huge. Something that could cover a small group of people (maybe half a dozen?) would be fine.

So how would you build this? Am I missing some obvious power that does pretty close to this without having to build it from the ground up?

Re: Light Wall

Barrier is the Power of choice for this Ability.

Endurance is tricky on this. Barrier by default is an Instant Power (so it can simulate Spidey's Web Walls as easily as a Green Lantern's constructs). By the Rules as Written (RAW) it is illegal to put both an Endurance Advantage (Reduced END) and a Limitation (Costs END to Maintain) on the same power. You could just create a custom Limitation - Costs Half END to Maintain @-1/4. It would just require extra notes on Hero Designer Exports since it is not a default option.

Here is one way it could be built:

62 Light Wall: Barrier 12 PD/12 ED, 3 BODY (up to 5m long, 2m tall, and 1/2m thick), Dismissable, Non-Anchored - END=6

Rather than pick any particular set level of effect for this type of character I usually put all the effort into the Power Framework to contain the various ways the power can be used.

Here is a new link to my version of Green Lantern as a starting PC for 6e.

This link contains the hdc files (HDC = Hero Designer Character) for both Hal Jordan and the Ring built as an AI follower.

I took a shot at figuring this out since I first posted this question, and I found a "Costs 1/2 End" limitation which I used. I overlooked that Barrier already costs End, and I needed a "Costs 1/2 End to Maintain" limitation. I'll double check my book when I get home (all I have is the Champions Complete book). Still, it seems reasonable, so I'll stick with it either way.

For the Barrier power itself, I admit it took a little thinking to wrap my brain around it. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble getting the numbers to work together in my head. Anyway, I do still have a couple questions.

Can you make a Barrier with 0 Body? I'm pretty sure the answer is "Yes". Presumably if the defense is penetrated it makes a hole. So if it had, say, 10PD/10ED and was hit by a 10 Body attack, would that breach it? Or would the attack need to do 11 Body?

When buying up the size, is it just 1 point for each meter tall or long regardless of total area? So if it starts with 1m tall, 1m long, and 1/2m thick, it would cost two more points to make it 3m tall and 9 points to make it 10m long, for a total of 11 points, right?

So I checked my book and there is a "Cost Endurance to Maintain" limitation, and it is available in 1/2 End and full End. It's on pg 102 of Champions Complete.

So here is the Barrier power I worked out:

Rainbow Wall: Barrier 12rPD, 12rED, 4m tall, 12m long, ½m thick; Non-Anchored (+10 CP); Cost End to maintain (½ END; -¼) - END = 3

I think that makes it 60 active points.

...Can you make a Barrier with 0 Body? I'm pretty sure the answer is "Yes". Presumably if the defense is penetrated it makes a hole. So if it had' date=' say, 10PD/10ED and was hit by a 10 Body attack, would that breach it? Or would the attack need to do 11 Body?[/quote']

If you make the Barrier with 0 Body it means that just 1 point of Body getting past the defenses will destroy the Barrier.

If you build it with Body then it falls under the normal rules for destroying objects.

...Can you make a Barrier with 0 Body? I'm pretty sure the answer is "Yes". Presumably if the defense is penetrated it makes a hole. So if it had' date=' say, 10PD/10ED and was hit by a 10 Body attack, would that breach it? Or would the attack need to do 11 Body?[/quote']

If you make the Barrier with 0 Body it means that just 1 point of Body getting past the defenses will destroy the Barrier.

If you build it with Body then it falls under the normal rules for destroying objects.

Re: Light Wall So I checked my book and there is a "Cost Endurance to Maintain" limitation' date=' and it is available in 1/2 End and full End. It's on pg 102 of Champions Complete. So here is the Barrier power I worked out: [b']Rainbow Wall: Barrier 12rPD, 12rED, 4m tall, 12m long, ½m thick; Non-Anchored (+10 CP); Cost End to maintain (½ END; -¼) - END = 3 I think that makes it 60 active points.[/b]

You probably want to include dismissible if the sfx is light.