Smart Missiles and Summon

Epic Legand

Hello all, i had the idea of my Transformer char fireing 4"smart" missiles...And of them turning into smallish robots bent on racing up to an oppentent and EXPLODING. I based my buy on summons 5:1 point ratio... 10! points = a 50 point guy. Add in loyety +1X, and +1/2 ( rapid)...Plus 10 points( 4 guys). 50 Active points.

My question is this, Is this overpowering ? i get to take one half action... My guys get a half action start, and a full action every round afterwards to try and hunt you down. I only spend endurance once, but round after round ...They hunt. It occered to me that I could buy his powes cheep...1/day or Burn out...Is this over powered ? My loss is Clear...It may take sevrel rounds to get close enough, then my missiles still have to hit.

Some feedback please.

I don't see too much of an issue because of a few things that you didn't mention:

1) The summoned creatures have to spend their first phase to recover from being summoned (going by 5th ed rev here so disregard this if it changed in 6th ed). So, it takes their second available phase before they can act at all.

2) They can be targeted and attacked. Given that they're actual beings people can shoot them down before they reach their target (just like real missiles).

3) People can outrun them. Again, just like real missiles. Anyone who has high movement or high speed can physically keep away from them.

4) No personal immunity. If I was playing a melee character I'd grab the summoner, hold him tight, and then laugh when all the missiles take us both down (but hopefully leave me standing). If the target keeps close to the summoner, anything like that could backfire so you have to think about the situation as well.

It's a cool ability and there's nothing about it that seems broken or overpowered to me. I had someone similar who could create little suicide drones (which is why I know about a lot of these disadvantages) and it worked out pretty well. I really had to watch it sometimes, but it could be really good for support or to take out someone who you can't get line of sight on,

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't recall where I read it I'm fairly certain that in one of the books I recall seeing something written that discussed using robot followers as missiles.

Pros: It would not require an advantage to guarantee the loyalty of the missile and solves the fact that summoned creatures can't move on their first phase.

Neutral: This would have the same base cost as summons. There would be a limit to the number of missiles you can fire before you have to get more (I listed this as neutral because some people will like the increased realism while others won't)

Cons: Seems like there's no mechanism for having a moderate supply of missiles (8-16) with the ability to only fire a limited number per round. Seems like firing a missile doesn't take a character's action. Both could possibly be resolved by purchasing the follower perk as a power and applying Limited Power.

While I don't recall where I read it I'm fairly certain that in one of the books I recall seeing something written that discussed using robot followers as missiles.

Pros: It would not require an advantage to guarantee the loyalty of the missile and solves the fact that summoned creatures can't move on their first phase.

Neutral: This would have the same base cost as summons. There would be a limit to the number of missiles you can fire before you have to get more (I listed this as neutral because some people will like the increased realism while others won't)

Cons: Seems like there's no mechanism for having a moderate supply of missiles (8-16) with the ability to only fire a limited number per round. Seems like firing a missile doesn't take a character's action. Both could possibly be resolved by purchasing the follower perk as a power and applying Limited Power.

RAW the big issue with that is that your "missiles" destroy themselves and therefore would be 1 use items, PERMANENTLY, or would require an expenditure of time and effort to replace.