No Line of Sight Required

dstones

Good morning,

well I was working on creating a new character with this power :

The pc has an hypnotic voice that works also on tv, or on a telephone line etc.

The first part is easy

Mind Control Need to be heard (-1/4 I suppose)

but then for Mind Control I would need a LOS which is not really great for this power.

Is there an advantage that I missed on the books that allow me to do that ?

Or I should buy a mind scan only to bypass the LOS required ? And if yes, what advantage or limitations has this Mind link ?

Thanks a lot

I wouldn't use Mind Scan for this as that is getting way more into "mental" power territory and this doesn't sound like your typical "Psychic" mental power.

APG has this following for "voice range" powers

When you combine Area Of Effect (Radius) at

the +1 level with Incantations and the No Range

Limitation (which may also require Personal

Immunity), a “voice range†power allows a character

to affect anyone who can hear him.

APG 136.

For your "through phones/television" I would recommend a naked MegaArea advantage large enough to cover the globe with a limitation that it only works through tv/radio etc. Note that since the user has no way to perceive anyone through tv/etc. he cannot target this power and therefore it would work on ANYONE and EVERYONE that could hear him. This could become rather problematic (and is definitely not a PC power, but really more of a plot device for an NPC so there is no real need to point it out).

To note: Don't get hung up on thinking of Mind Control as a "mental power". With the right modifiers you leave the psychic world behind and are only using the power for what it does. There are many SFX for Mind Control that have nothing to do with mental powers ;)

I wouldn't use Mind Scan for this as that is getting way more into "mental" power territory and this doesn't sound like your typical "Psychic" mental power.

APG 136.

For your "through phones/television" I would recommend a naked MegaArea advantage large enough to cover the globe with a limitation that it only works through tv/radio etc. Note that since the user has no way to perceive anyone through tv/etc. he cannot target this power and therefore it would work on ANYONE and EVERYONE that could hear him. This could become rather problematic (and is definitely not a PC power, but really more of a plot device for an NPC so there is no real need to point it out).

To note: Don't get hung up on thinking of Mind Control as a "mental power". With the right modifiers you leave the psychic world behind and are only using the power for what it does. There are many SFX for Mind Control that have nothing to do with mental powers ;)

How could you make a similar power that could be targeted to a specific subject?

APG 136.

How could you make a similar power that could be targeted to a specific subject?

easiest way would probably be to add selective to the AOE. Of course if you wanted to be able to use that through the tv or such you would need some form of targeting sense that worked with it. RAW that would be difficult to do and honestly this would be way to powerful for a PC so you would probably just handwave it as a GM. If you HAD to do something then Clairsentience would probably be best (with the appropriate limitations and GM approval for a power to be targeted with Clairsentience which is normally not allowed if i remember correctly. )

APG 136.

I'm not sure it needs to be Selective or have some way to target across the continent. Couldn't you just make the command be specific to someone? "So-and-so go do this".

APG 136.

You may be right on the Selective part, but that could result in a lot of weirdness (esp if you have a diabolical GM) "Jack, Do this!" would get a lot of hits, even something more specific could easily be misinterpreted, misunderstood, etc. One of the fun parts of a non-telepathic MC is the whole "interpretation" angle.

Of course GM's may vary on that, I don't think there is anything specific about this RAW.

APG 136.

Fair point psyber. A lot of it is up to GM interpretation/allowance with this sort of power.