Hovering after Teleport into Air

Christopher

Question

Based on a Games Rules/How To Build Discussion:

Asuming a Character has Teleport Powers and "1m Flight, Persistent, 0 END, Only to Hover" and he can have both active at the same time. When he teleports himself up into the air:

1. Would he need to spend an action to start hovering?

2. Would he have to spend a half phase action to continue hovering each phase or is hovering a zero-phase action?

The only rules I could find regarding that are that "Hovering still costs at least 1 END per turn" (wich is taken care of).

1 answer to this question

Technically speaking, hovering in place still constitutes “movement” and the use of a Movement Power, so it should require a Half Phase in each Phase, even if the character isn’t actually moving any physical distance. However, in this case I think most GMs (including myself) would say, “Technicalities be damned.” Common sense and dramatic sense tell us that it works just fine to let a character hover as a Zero Phase Action (or even Action that takes no time, if the GM’s really charitable). It’s not going to break the game to let a character “stand around in mid-air” just like other characters stand around on the ground.