Martin Jetpack

AlHazred

Working on the Aeromobil V2.5 reminded me of the Martin Jetpack, a personal flight system which is expected to be start delivering in mid-2014. The Martin system isn't really a "jetpack" per se, using two ducted fans for lift, The interesting part, to me, is that the target audience for the first units isn't jetpack fanboys or sci-fi nerds such as myself, but first responders. So now, in my imagination, after I have crashed my Martin Jetpack due to my own lack of flying skills, I'm imagining a jetpack-suited first aid woman flying down to get me. To me, that's even cooler than I had originally imagined for being more plausible!

The .hdp file is available here.

Equipment - Martin Jetpack.pdf

Yeah, they can't even get it to be certified as an ultralight. It's going to be a "light aircraft" and require a Pilot's License if you're getting one shipped to you here in the States. In New Zealand it's considerably looser. Anyway, "jetpack" is not what it is, it's what they've named it. It wasn't me!

That's odd, the wiki entry says it's classified as an experimental ultralight.

Hey, man, I'm only repeating the article. :winkgrin:

While the Martin Jetpack will qualify as a microlight aircraft in much of the world, this is not the case in the US, as it is too heavy. It will be a light sport plane, and as such a Sport Pilot's license will be needed to fly the Jetpack. Although not required by law, Martin also offers a training course that would be a very good idea to include in one's preparations for the first Jetpack flight.