Deflection, No Range - followup

Hyper-Man

Question

Hi Steve,

I am really confused by your previous answer. 

The text basically states that a Block vs. Ranged attack works best when using an 'object' to block with. 

Deflection states that it eliminates this need. 

It seems like Deflection with No Range would be a very good way to model a Block vs. Ranged attacks that has no penalty for not using an 'object' to do so. 

Am I missing something?

from 6e2 page 59

First, the penalties for trying to Block a Ranged attack unarmed are more often incurred, and can be more severe (-4 or worse). The GM may even forbid a character to Block a Ranged attack unless he has a weapon or some other object to do it with, or impose some other penalty. For example, trying to Block a laser beam with one’s bare hands tends to be a Very Bad Idea.

from 6e1 page 187

(However, a character using Deflection isn’t required to use a shield or object to use the Power, whereas GMs often require characters Blocking Ranged attacks made against themselves to have one.)

1 answer to this question

The text says Block versus Range often works best when the character has an object to use -- but it doesn't say an object is required. If the GM establishes that an object is required, perhaps Deflection with No Range would have some utility, but generally speaking my previous answer stands.