Side effects and rolls

Tom2405

I had a question about this on the rules questions part and steve long answered it very nicely (the functioning was just as I had thought) and tnx there btw:

Post: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/89143-side-effects-and-rolls/

I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'm going to restate what I think you're asking and answer that. If I get it wrong, please post again and I'll give it another try.  :)

Q:  If I want to create a power where a character has to succeed with a Skill Roll to make the power function properly, and if the roll fails something bad happens to him, how do I do that using the HERO System rules?

A:  The typical way would be the Limitations Requires A Roll (in some form) and Side Effects. If you post on the Discussion board (where anyone can reply, not just me) and describe the power you have in mind in greater detail, you may get other useful suggestions from Herodom Assembled.

One thing I'm still not 100% sure about:

The sideeffect itself: In hero designer when I choose a side efffect I have the option to put "Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act" top it.  thus in the above stated case does the side effect have this limitation to it? or is the side effect put into action "as is" (thus without any limiation to it)? 

(only talking about the roll failure induces side effect there as the other limitations to rolls and side effects are clear to me)

tnx

If you use Requires a Roll and Side Effects (without Always Occur), the typical assumption is that when you miss the roll the Side Effects occur and the power fails to activate.  

Side Effects Always Occur would be if you had a power that when you use it always causes some problem.  If you used Side Effects Always Occur with a power that Requires A Roll, then the roll would only control whether the power activates.  The Side Effects would happen whether or not you succeed at the roll.  

"Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act" typically means that you can use the power without suffering any Side Effect, as long as you avoid performing that specific act.  That's why it reduces the value of the Limitation, from -1/4 to -0, for example.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any examples in Champions Powers, but it would be something like a large unstable gun that imposes an OCV penalty if the character makes a Half-Move in the Phase that they fire it.  If you don't move before firing the gun, then the Side Effect doesn't happen.  Since you have control over whether or not the Side Effect happens, instead of being at the mercy of a die roll, the Limitation is reduced.