In the deep weeds: “Naked� Power Advantage

lensman

For this discussion all manner of Stop sign and Sfx bars have been cleared

Fred pg 157:

“Naked†Power Advantages are considered Special Powers

They are typically Instant and Self-Only, though the GM may vary this based on the nature of the ability being constructed, the Advantages used, and the power to which the Advantage is being applied.

Naked Power Advantages are considered distinct, full-fledged Powers, and may have other Advantages or Limitations applied to them.

From the FAQ:

Type of NPA: apply to any one of a group of powers

It is being applied to four Instant powers and one Constant power.

My goal is to hold true to the Hero adage that

“A Limitation which doesn’t limit the Character isn’t worth any bonus.â€

Here is the rub:

All powers have the limitations Concentration & Extra Time

The NPA also is bought with Concentration & Extra Time

Say the Extra time is 5 minutes.

For Instant powers, the character starts both the power Extra-Time and NPA extra-time.

5 minutes later he can use the Instant power with the NPA

Is this right?

Concentration 0 DCV, for both the powers and the NPA.

How can you apply 0 DCV to the NPA when the power, which has already reduced DCV to 0 ?

Can you say in the case that one power does not have the limitation Concentrate, that NPA can have Concentrate applied to it because when used in concert with that power it does reduce the characters DCV to 0?

Or does it mimic Limitation sharing found with Multipowers and its constituent slots?

My apologies if I have stated my quandary badly.

If you look at each power as if it was bought with the Power Advantage not in a “Naked†state, you normally would say fine, the limits apply to the power active points.

Thanks in advance

Hmm ... so, if I'm getting this right, you're asking if someone has a power that has Extra Time 5 Minutes, and a Naked Power Modifier that also has Extra Time 5 Minutes, and he uses the Modifier on that Power, does it take 5 minutes or 10?

As I understand the Extra Time rules (and I'm probably wrong), unless you take the 'Can Take No Other Actions' modifier, you're free to do other things (some things, at least) during the warm-up time for an Extra Time Power. Personally, I'd probably let you activate both of them at once, so they'd 'go off' at the same time (and accumulate), though it might depend on the special effects of both the power and the modifier (the standard Hero Disclaimer).