Adding STR Damage to Thrown Weapons

bigdamnhero

Question

Hi Steve,

This is another one of those "I thought I knew the answer, but I can't find the rule" questions...

If a character can add STR damage to an HA/HKA weapon, does that additional damage also apply when the weapon is thrown? Example: A 12 STR character has a dagger with a STR Minimum of 6, so he adds 1 DC pushing it from 1d6-1K to 1d6K. When he throws the dagger, does he still do 1d6K? I've always played it that way, but I can't find it explicitly stated in the sections on Throwing, Adding Damage, STR Minimum, or Range Based On STR. Thanks,

1 answer to this question

If the weapon is bought with HA/HKA -- Powers to which STR adds damage -- and also some Advantage that lets the weapon be used at Range (typically Range Based On STR), then yes, STR adds to the damage according to the normal rules for the Power and/or the campaign. That's basically the primary reason why thrown weapons are built with HA/HKA rather than Blast/RKA. I never explicitly mentioned it in the rules because I never thought there was any question about the issue -- but clearly I was wrong, so time for a FAQ entry. :)