Power(s) construction question...

Delthrien

Today's fun little exercise:

I've an idea for character who can draw an image (using whatever materials are available) and then use that image to generate various effects like:

• Summon (bringing an image to life)
  • Teleport or desolid (drawing a door or hole in a wall)
  • Extradimensional travel (jumping into a picture -- remember Mary Poppins and the chalk drawings?)
  • various attacks (drawing and animating weapons, etc.)
  • entangles (portable hole anyone?)

... you get the idea. I want to include the "Delayed Effect" advantage, along with the requisite focus limitations, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the tricky part of the power.

I want to place a limit on the active points he can use, based on the amount of time he puts into doing the original drawing -- essentially a drawing that he only spends 5 minutes on is less powerful than a drawing that he spends an hour on.

I've thought about something along the lines of a "gradual effect" limitation (or maybe extra time?) but neither of these seems to exactly fit the bill. Can anyone suggest anything else?

(edited for cranial gas...)

Re: Power(s) construction question...

Originally posted by Delthrien

Today's fun little exercise:

I've an idea for character who can draw an image (using whatever materials are available) and then use that image to generate various effects like:

• Summon (bringing an image to life)
  • Teleport or desolid (drawing a door or hole in a wall)
  • Extradimensional travel (jumping into a picture -- remember Mary Poppins and the chalk drawings?)
  • various attacks (drawing and animating weapons, etc.)
  • entangles (portable hole anyone?)

... you get the idea. I want to include the "Delayed Effect" advantage, along with the requisite focus limitations, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the tricky part of the power.

I want to place a limit on the active points he can use, based on the amount of time he puts into doing the original drawing -- essentially a drawing that he only spends 5 minutes on is less powerful than a drawing that he spends an hour on.

I've thought about something along the lines of a "gradual effect" limitation (or maybe extra time?) but neither of these seems to exactly fit the bill. Can anyone suggest anything else?

(edited for cranial gas...)

Do you want them able to start, and use it at a lower level if they have to stop early, or they have to decide on the power level and then take the appropriate amount of time?

power construction

First I apoligize for not giving the X's and O's of how to do this.(I'm still a little fuzzy with FrED)

Anyway, you could buy the powers in steps. Buy the lower end powers/slots with a shorter time limitation. The greater amount of points used/the greater the time limitation.

Also, how intense is the creation process. Will it take the Gestures limitation(he's using both hands, right?)

How much concentration? Will the character be able to draw on the run, or stop and be at 1/2 or 0 DCV?

There's several other ideas, but I don't know the origin of the power, so that changes the effects.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Buy a power in graduated steps. For example, if you're doing a Multipower:

75 point multipower, 25 points unlimited, next 20 points Extra Time (1 Turn), next 15 Extra Time (1 minute), next 10 Extra Time (5 minutes), next 5 Extra Time (20 minutes).

You can extrapolate this to VPP, or whatever.