Late For Haloween: The Wizard Of Gore.

steriaca

One question...has anyone atempted to do a write up of the villian of the old 60's splater film The Wizard Of Gore? I myself would love to know exactly what you think of his powers, and the best way to write them up.

His powers:

1) The ability to kill a person, then revive them so that thay have no memorie of the attack. Then, the victom falls apart again an hour later.

2) The ability to mass-hyponise his audeance, so all thay see is a series of bloodless magic tricks. This dose not appear to work aganst camras (but it does affect the camraman who are taking the images at the time).

3) The ability to cut his own head off without ill effect, then reatach it.

4) His revival powers might not be limited to just reviveing his victoms (there was one sceen where he digs up a girls coffin, then does something to the revived girl).

I have to admit this...I never sceen the film myself. I have only read about it.

Oh, and the charater is created by Hershal Gorden Lewis.

Never seen it either, but familiar with the theme.

How about - Killing Attack (OIF, various blades, guillotines, saws, etc.) Invisible Power Effects (Visible to electronic signals - a bit of a fudge, but there you go).

You could build the hypnosis thing as Mind Control (believe you saw no blood) or Mental Illusions, I suppose. Can he hypnotise the audience into seeing other things?

Then a Resurrection option Healing, but limited in effect to one hour (fairly hefty Limitation that one). So, it would allow him to bring anyone back to life, but only for an hour. After that, they go back to being dead.

Did he really cut off his own head, or could this be Images or Mental Illusions? Perhaps he also has Resurrection Healing without the time limit. It might only work if he dies by his own hand.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head (which is, yep, still attached). I think maybe you need someone who's seen the film, though!

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Never seen it either, but familiar with the theme.

How about - Killing Attack (OIF, various blades, guillotines, saws, etc.) Invisible Power Effects (Visible to electronic signals - a bit of a fudge, but there you go).

I was thinking about a huge RKA (4d6, at least), with a time delay myself, but the IPE would also work.

You could build the hypnosis thing as Mind Control (believe you saw no blood) or Mental Illusions, I suppose. Can he hypnotise the audience into seeing other things?

Nope. Just to hide the bloody mess he makes. Must make the managers of the places he works realy mad, cause I don't think he cleans up after himself.

Then a Resurrection option Healing, but limited in effect to one hour (fairly hefty Limitation that one). So, it would allow him to bring anyone back to life, but only for an hour. After that, they go back to being dead.

This will work to explane what he did to the girl he duged up. But he only made her 'live' for a short period of time, and, well, she was long dead (at least a few weeks). Would a Transformation work on that, or should I just ignore the power and say that it happened because of a huge Power: Necromancy skill and as a way to show the audeance that he is realy sick.

Did he really cut off his own head, or could this be Images or Mental Illusions? Perhaps he also has Resurrection Healing without the time limit. It might only work if he dies by his own hand.

Don't know...I haven't watched the darn film. He might of used it to end his life at the end of the film. And, of course, the ending is realy confusing (more so than Neon Geneses Evangelian). Basicly, he tries to blow up a female reporter who finds out his secret by feading her a stick of TNT, and haveing it explode in her gut. She turns out to be an reincarnated goddess of magic, and transports him to the begining of the film (off stage). He may of taken his own life. Or he may of watched himself from off stage.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head (which is, yep, still attached). I think maybe you need someone who's seen the film, though!

Defently agree with you there. The only reasion this movie intrests me is because of the power of it's villian (I even forgot his name, darn it).

Sorry, just realised I didn't explain my thinking very well.

I was wondering if you would still need the Mental Illusions if the Killing Attacks have IPE and if the only hypnosis he does is to make people fail to see that he's really killed someone. Hence my question about whether he can hypnotise people to see anything else.

I had considered a time delay on the HKA, but you said that the wizard actually kills the victims and brings them back. If the damage has a delayed effect, there wouldn't really be any blood until the attack triggered (although you could say this is just a special effect).

If he has some kind of Transformation/Resurrection power, that would cover both Invisbly killing the victims, then bringing them back to life and also bringing back the girl he dug up. You might be right that the latter is a one-off and doesn't need to be done as a specific power.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

I was wondering if you would still need the Mental Illusions if the Killing Attacks have IPE and if the only hypnosis he does is to make people fail to see that he's really killed someone. Hence my question about whether he can hypnotise people to see anything else.

Well, since he is an NPC, it realy dosen't matter exactly how many advantages he has on the power, as long as it is enougth to simulate exactly what he does. May I ask you something...is 4d6 KA to much to kill a normal?

I had considered a time delay on the HKA, but you said that the wizard actually kills the victims and brings them back. If the damage has a delayed effect, there wouldn't really be any blood until the attack triggered (although you could say this is just a special effect).

Yes, I would say that the blood and guts are a special effect of his powers. By the way, hear is a small, incomplete rundown of all the 'magic tricks' he does.

1) Forced two women to swallow swords.

2) Put an iron spike through another woman's head (in, prehaps, the most fake special effect in the film...the spike acualy went into a stirafome head wearing a mask).

3) Sawing a woman's torso with a chainsaw (the clasic sawing a woman in half trick...boy what HGL could do with red paint and pig guts).

4) Placeing a woman on a workbench of a metal punch macheen, then turning the darn thing on.

5) The already mentioned stick of TNT, being fed to the girl reporter, which turns out to be the goddess of magic.

So, is this enougth evidence to give the power a Varabul Advantage advantage? If so, how much?

If he has some kind of Transformation/Resurrection power, that would cover both Invisbly killing the victims, then bringing them back to life and also bringing back the girl he dug up. You might be right that the latter is a one-off and doesn't need to be done as a specific power.

I myself, If I am going to go the Susano rout and include EVEYTHING he did, would acualy have to write it up. If I did, it would defently be a limited Transformation (dead body to live body ) with the sick power limatation "Only last for a limited time: for as long as he is rapeing the body". How much of a limitation is this? (And, yes, I did mention he was a sick, vile man. A perfect canadate for being a DEMON Morbain, don't you think?)

• 16 years later...

Necromancing this after rediscovering it. I now own that movie and the 2007 reimagining. By the way, I love the reimagining. 

He starts the film cutting off his own head for the title screen. So we could ignore that if we chose to. And yes, it is a fake looking head.

Here are the list of illusions from the film (both films). It should be noted that film 2 the illusions are just that. And Montog is played by Crispin Glover in movie 2 (movie 1 is played by someone else and is basically the real deal).

1.1) Chainsaws a woman in half in full view of the audience.

1.2) Railroad spike into head.

1.3) Punch press machine to the guts.

1.4 and 1.5) Forced sword swallowing.

1.6) Tries to lead everyone into a fire (and burn everyone to death at home under his hypnotic powers), but appears to burn himself to death.

1.8) Appears to have been disguised via magic as the reporter's boyfriend and tries to tip her apart with his bare hands, but fails cause she is magic also. In fact, he is Her illusion. 

2.1) Girl appears to get her guts ripped out.

2.2) Girl has bear traps tossed at her.

2.3) Girl gets roasted inside a blazen bull torture device. 

2.4) Man gets towel shoved down his wind pipe with a broomstick, then the towel is yanked out.

2.5) Woman is stabbed with multiple swords and then disappears, along with the audience. 

2.6) Montog attempts to kill our hero via Death of 100 Cuts, but instead bleeds the mind control drug out of him. He retaliates by crushing Montog's skull, who himself a victim of the same mind control drug.

Montag (movie 1) is definitely a Multipower with a Variable IIF, Variable Special Effect RKA with the Time Delay advantage. We got a problem with the Mind Control, because once he is on television he can (and did) mass hypnotize all people who seen his image and listened to his voice. It is hard to simulate with the rules as written unless he has a huge AOE Mind Scan which only works on thoes who watch him on television. He also has Shapeshift (to disguise himself as her boyfriend near the end of the movie), and a base HKA (to rip his victims asunder with his bare hands), and a Resurrection Regeneration power.

Montog (Movie 2) simply has Mental Illusions/Mind Control, week bones, and an addict to tetroditoxian (puffer fish poison).

Why am I necromancing this thread? *shrugs* I was trying to find an old WWYHD thread and stumbled across this.