Duplication Question: Multiple generations of duplicators

I have a quick question, folks-

In the 5E version of duplication, it recommends characters with duplication effectively buy duplicates with a nonfunctioning "copy" of the original's duplication power.

Quoting: "Duplicates do not have the Power Duplication themselves, nor any ability to create other Duplicates, unless they pay for it separately. However, unless the GM permits otherwise, for ease of use all Duplicates must pay for the cost of the base characters Duplication ability. Otherwise, the Duplicates would end up with more points to spend on other abilities than the base character himself has."

My question is this: If you did want a character whose duplicates could use duplication as well (possibly even divide like bacteria forever) how would you adjudicate this? Pay for duplicates on fewer points (leaving out the original's duplication if only the original can split) and put duplication on all duplicates identical to the original if you want multiple "generations" of dupes off the original?

I can't tell who or what confused me on this power, and I accept I may have confused myself.

If the character (let's call them "01") splits into 4 dupes and is built on 250 points, the standard method is to charge him for 4 250-point copies whose duplication power is effectively present but nonfunctioning. If you wanted those dupes to split, they'd need a second, functioning copy of the power to make their own 4 copies each. A third generation would require 2 nonfunctioning copies of duplication and a third, functioning copy of the power and so on... After a couple of generations the copies have no points left and the whole thing breaks down.

Am I misunderstanding this or am I right? If I'm right, how would you build a character whose dupes can divide and (exponentially, yes) continue to re-divide without restrictions on total "generations"?

I hope I was clear on why I don't understand... I'm worried I may be so benightedly off with regard to this idea my question may not even make sense at first look.

C.F.

Two things here..

First:

"possibly even divide like bacteria forever"

Well.. That's like giving a character infinite growth or an unlimited amount of any power. So nix on that.

Second, I think the easy thing to do is just give the original character as much maximum duplication as you want (like 128 dupes or whatever), and then say that the special effect is dupes creating dupes. I'm not sure it would really matter. The character would get a benefit from the point of origin of new dupes being at range but also a limitation since he couldn't dupe instantly to his full amount because he has to dupe from dupes. Could always apply an advanatage or disadvantage modifier if you think that it is appropriate.

If the player can create infinite duplicates this way the real question is does he retain 100% control.

If he retains control his duplicates would be 250 points for being a copy of him plus 50 extra points for their own duplication for a total of 300 points. That would be 60 active points.

If the character does not control the duplicates then he is really using summon. And by design there is no limit to summoned beings once they are free.