Character for Review: Karma

JmOz

Another character for my intended book, little preview and peer review.

I have not wrote his official background yet (And still struggling with a name, might have to grab the phone book)

But the basics of his background are that he was an EMT who responded to a supers fight, during the fight he would save a mystic hero (Name pending).  The mystic was thankful for him not revealing who he was and asked what he could do for him.  The EMT always wanted to be a hero and asked if there was anyway he could help.  The mystic hero agreed to train him but warned that his abilities would be relatively limited.  A year later Karma hit the streets of San Corona

Powers/tactics: The character is primarily a ranged combatant thanks to a magic bow he received from his patron.  He is skilled at making magic items, thus he is able to recreate the arrows he uses.  Otherwise he is a street level hero.  The other major magic item he has is the cloak of shadows, it provides protection, teleportation (from one shadow to another), night vision, and near invisibility in the dark.

He however is what in the world is called a baseline human.  This makes him considerably unsuited for the life he has chosen.   

While his powers are mystical the effect they cause is very street level

Personality: He is extremely dedicated to saving people, thus the reason why he became an EMT and later a hero.  He accepts that his magical talents are quite limited.  He likes to keep a mysterious air to him.

Appearance: A black cloak that blends with shadows...

Karma.pdf

Did you consider using a 'utility belt' approach like this example?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/64115-the-classic-justice-league-starting-members-on-350-points/?p=2057219

Here is part of a work still in progress of updating my 5e starting version of Green Arrow to 6e.

It has always bothered me that in the past that such characters had to be built with a Multipower and Slots where each new slot required additional XP be spent.

The following is an attempt to update Green Arrow to the "Gadget/Utility-Belt VPP behaving as a Multipower" model discussed in this old thread.

64 Bow & Quiver of Arrows: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 24 base + 60 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (114 Active Points); Conditional Power Arrow Based Gadgets Only (Limited Variety of Arrows Carried At One Time (12-24, GM discretion) Can Be Changed At Base. Effectively Operates As Multipower with Current Slot Selection; -1/2); all slots OAF (Bow & Quiver of Arrows; Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4)
[Notes: Technically, the Quiver of Arrows is OIF and the Bow is OAF. The only special quality of the Bow itself is collapsibility when not in use. If broken, a generic 'sporting good store replacement' could be used in a pinch with possible penalties to OCV and/or Range depending on its quality. All slots need an additional (-3/4) in Limitations beyond Focus (usually Range Based on STR, Charges & either Beam or Can Be Deflected). This represents that most of the arrows can still be used at no range when a bow is not available (OCV penalties may apply). ]
0 1) Broad-Head Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to [Hearing Sense Group]; +1/4) (60 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 24
0 2) Boxing-Glove Arrow: Blast 8d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to [Hearing Sense Group]; +1/4) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4) Real Cost: 24
0 3) Flash-Grenade Arrow: Sight, Hearing and Touch Groups Flash 6d6, Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4) Real Cost: 24

The included slots are just a small sample to illustrate the overall VPP construction. I'm not so worried about the individual slot constructions as I am the basic VPP framework since adding additional trick arrow slots* does not cost any more points using this method.

*Lists of the various trick arrows he has used can be found at:
http://www.comicvine...arrow/18-55833/
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Trick_Arrows

I am also tempted to try and separate out the VPP-Only "No Skill Roll Required" Advantage from the basic VPP to better define that it is Oliver Queens' skill and training in setting up the layout of his quiver of trick arrows that allows him to use it so effectively. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra trouble.

Original draft had a ranged MA, but decided against it as another character has one...will post her as well sometime soon.  Also I liked the way a 60 point pool played with the advantages on his slots.  Trying to make all 6 characters distinct, powers, personality, themes, backstories, etc...While keeping them "Street Level" 

Okay, need help with some specific problems I am having with him 

1) Need to remove various space holders, namely the name of the arrows, especially the sensory depriving and dispel magic ones, name of mystic mentor.

2)I feel like his skills and complications may not match up with his background as much as I would like

Any recommendations on this front would be appreciated