Retro-Pulp Space Game Campaign Document

Kharis2000

I'm trying something different here and planing on running a local retro-pulp space game in the vein of Captain Video, Tom Corbett, and the like (all my previous pulp games have been terrestrial and temporally restricted to the late 20's - late 40's).

Since there was talk about games of this sort, I'm attaching the current version of the campaign document for folks to check out and draw inspiration from.

I make no claim to originality or ownership for anything in this material; it's fan fiction. Some of it came from Star Hero, some from Steve Long's Solar Smith setting, some from the Cosmic Patrol setting, some from GURPS Tales of the Solar Patrol, some from the Rocket Age setting, some from various Traveler supplements, some from ICE's Spacemaster: Privateers setting, some from actual pulp materials, and probably a dozen other places. It's only intended use is to be a campaign bible for my game to introduce the setting and such to my players. All copyrighted materials are owned by the original producers and no challenge is intended.

If you want to comment on it, then please feel free - I can always use constructive ideas, suggestions, corrections, and observations.

If, in fact, I need to take the file down lest I cause an issue, then just let me know!

Tales of the Cosmic Rangers Campaign Document - Final v10.zip

I will point out that this is A) not a complete setting y any means, and B) not the completed version. I found several issues today (like the hideously embarrassing fact that I intended the organization to be the 'Cosmic Rangers' and not the 'Cosmic Patrol' as it was referred to for the whole document, for example), and it will likely evolve a bit more over time as I add things like quick name guides for the alien races, address issues that crop up with my starship operations systems, and so on.

Hope folks are, at the least, entertained!

To the folks that have downloaded and read the document, are you seeing any issues?

Things I'm particularly interested in external viewpoints on are: the starting point levels and the size of the alien race templates in relation to them, the shipboard operations rules, and overall campaign requirements as reflective of the genre.

A couple of things, editing-wise:

1. The last line of the second paragraph under Campaign Theme Guidelines drops off with an ",and".
  2. The Venusian template lists "2 KSs at 11-" and "2 Sciences at 11-", each for 2 points. Those should each be 4 points.

At first blush the templates struck me as a little heavy, with the racial and Ranger template combos giving the Venusians and Vimdrani the fewest options and the Humans given carte blanche. Having stared at it for a while though, it doesn't seem so severe as I'd thought, and it's within the genre to have some marked differences between species.

Systems Operations seem to be the skill to have, at least in terms of getting the most out of your ship. I was wondering how high of a skill roll you're expecting characters to have (in general). Rolling at -4 also feels a little steep if skill rolls are on the low end; I think you'll be unlikely to see anyone take advantage of the bonuses that you've defined at that level. Having it at just -2 too strikes me as too little, so maybe -3?

This is a great read. I'm a big fan of this kind of setting and wish I was fortunate enough to be a player in this campaign.

Thanks! Those two are now fixed in v.8 of the document (not posted yet)

I'm assuming most people will have a base of 11- to 12- (slightly higher for Venusians), so I may need to revisit the penalties. I think that the shield system has a success on a roll giving one level of effect, so I likely need to go back and ensure that all the systems give one level of effect on a successful skill check, with the next levels coming every multiple after that. I may need to look at subdividing Systems Operation or requiring PS: Tesla Shield Operation or something of the sort to prevent one skill from being too useful, though.

I tried to structure the templates to a) ensure everyone had the base skills they needed, and to ensure that the alien races were distinguished and generally grouped by their stat adds. Humans were deliberately left wide open as they were structured as the supreme generalists of the game to balance out their lack of superior stats and racial abilities (and racial limitations)

• 2 weeks later...

First block of characters - two humans, a Mindalari, and a Haltaxan. 

Observations:

So far, almost everyone's chosen to go broad as opposed to taking a deep dive into a specialty or stat. Stroud's player is the outlier, as he maxed Dex for a human and went heavily into piloting.

No personal combat-heavy characters.

Amusingly, and without planning, both humans chose names with the same initials.

So far, only Stroud and Fartraveller have bought Heroic Talents, and one of those was really just a flavor buy.

Characters to come: female Venusian Doctor, female Trinalaxan Botanist, male Mindalari generalist, female Martian Amazon (NPC)

PC - Ace_Stevenson.pdf

PC - Axel Stroud.pdf

PC - Hogan Fartraveller.doc

PC - Tawny.doc