Cumulative & Complimentary

bigdamnhero

Question

Let's say a character has 8d6 of Mind Control, with Cumulative (48 points max). Let's say he has a friend with the same power, and they want to work together using the Complimentary Mental Powers rules (6e1, 152). So the 2nd mentalist gets to add 2d6 (25% of 8d6) and add it to the Total Effect Roll, assuming everyone makes all their rolls. So far so good.

My question is: does the 2nd Mentalist add anything to the 48 point maximum? Is it fair/legal to add 12 (max on 2d6) to the Cumulative max, as long as they both continue to cooperate? Thanks,

1 answer to this question

I’m going to restate the question generically, just to make sure everything’s clear:

Q:  Suppose a character has a Mental Power with the Cumulative Advantage. Another character with the same Mental Power (which may or may not have Cumulative as well) wants to increase the power’s effectiveness using the Complementary Mental Powers rules. Does doing so increase the maximum Effect Roll the first character can achieve with his Cumulative Mental Power?

A:  No (unless, of course, the GM rules otherwise). The maximum Effect Roll still applies; the character will just reach it more quickly due to the second character’s assistance.

It's an interesting idea, though. I can see where the GM might allow it in a Psionic Hero campaign, or perhaps to distinguish one "type" or "school" of psionics from another. Good thinking!