Desolid Recovery Followup

Edsel

Question

First of all thanks for all the time and effort you put into answering all of these questions. I've learned a lot just following these posts.

As for my question. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here. Deejmister just asked the following question and got the listed reply.

If a character has Desolidification bought to 0 End, can he take a recovery in a phase that he starts out desolid?

A. Yes

But when I check the FAQ for this I found the following.

Q: Can a character maintain a Constant Power and still take a Recovery on one of his Phases? Can he do so if the Constant Power costs no END, or if it’s Persistent?

Can a character turn off or deactivate a power in the same Phase when he takes a Recovery?

A: As described on 5E 285, a character who chooses to take a Recovery as an Action may do nothing else that Phase — not even Actions that take no time, or Actions that cost no END. Therefore he cannot maintain a Constant power and take a Recovery, even if the power costs no END. However, if the power is Persistent, he can maintain it and still take a Recovery.

A character may take a Zero-Phase Action to turn a power off (either consciously or by stopping paying END) at the beginning of a Phase in which he declares that he will take a Recovery; that’s an exception to the rule that he cannot take any Actions, and of course represents the fact that he’s “relaxing†completely for a Phase. He could then, on his next Phase, use a Zero-Phase Action to activate the power again.

These seem contradictory to me. The way I read it Desolid is a Constant power and therefore you cannot take a recovery while the power is active, even if bought to 0 END, unless you buy it Persistant as well.

However the answer to the question seems to indicate that having bought the Recovery to 0 END cost is enough to allow it. Which is correct?

1 answer to this question

My apologies; I overlooked that answer. The FAQ answer is correct.

However, I think that answer needs to be amended to deal with one situation: Always On powers. Taken literally, it would prevent a character with, say, Desolidification 0 END Persistent Always On could never take a Recovery. Obviously that makes no sense, so I'll include a clarification in the next FAQ update.