Change Environment and OCV

eepjr24

Question

I would have guessed this would be answered already but lots of searching and even using google to search the site did not find it. I remember at one time there was an FAQ, but I cannot locate it anymore.

On 6e1 pg 40, OCV and DCV are defined as characteristics. 6e1 pg 45 notes that they do not have a characteristic roll but that they are used for or affect attack rolls.

6e1 pg 176 notes that the price for negative values on characteristics and all skill rolls based on the characteristic is 4 points.

1. Does this mean you can buy a -1 to OCV with a Change Environment? 

2. Same question for DCV. And how would this interact with paying double for affecting defensive powers, if at all.

Thank you for your time. 

- E

1 answer to this question

1. Yes, it’s possible to buy a Change Environment that reduces OCV or DCV. This qualifies as a “point of damage,” so it costs 5 Character Points per -1 and requires the GM’s approval (per 6E1 175-76). Furthermore, if the GM finds this too effective compared to Drain, he should increase the cost, as discussed on 6E1 176.

2. The double cost effect you refer to relates to Adjustment Powers. Since Change Environment isn’t an Adjustment Power, that rule doesn’t apply to a CE that reduces DCV. However, a GM may rule that it applies in his campaign if he feels that’s necessary to maintain game balance in general, or parity between CE and Drain.