re: Extra Weapon and Combined Attack

Hyper-Man

Question

Hi Steve,

I am confused by your answer to the previous question.

It appears that the character is getting a net benefit (access to the penalty free Combined Attack maneuver) for taking the Focus Limitation and Doubling Rule instead of being forced to use the Multiple Attack maneuver and its penalties.

Would the answer be the same if all references to the Focus Limitation are removed?

"What if a character buys an hka or rka with a focus limitation and then pays for an extra focus, can he use (it) both to make a combined attack if he has one in each hand?"

Thanks!

HM

1 answer to this question

The answer to that question is No, because the character has only bought one attack. The character in the original question has two attacks:  two different weapons, paid for separately (the fact that he got one using the 5-point doubling rule doesn't change the fact that it's separate and that he paid for it). 6E2 181 specifically states that the two items of equipment are separate and can be used to perform Multiple Attacks "or the like."

If the character in question paid for two KAs, Focus-based or not, he could make a Combined Attack or Multiple Attack with them too. That's one reason why, when I build monsters and beasts, I typically pay for the claws and fangs separately, rather than buying just one "Natural Weapons" ability:  it lets them pounce and then claw and bite the target. ;)