Robot HERO

Mark Taylor

Re: Robot HERO

Originally posted by Realms of Chaos

Okay, I have a question for you HEROphiles out there, any advice will be appreciated! As those who read the NGD and General Roleplaying boards should be aware, HERO system is pretty new to me!

I sat my players down tonight after our regular session and had them vote on what they would like me to run for the "next big campaign", from three different campaign ideas.

"Robot HERO" was the result. The concept, essentially, is a high-tech post apocalyptic sci-fi universe. The game is set shortly after a massive war which has devastated many worlds as well as much of the structure of interstellar society itself. Many of the ground battles were fought by powerful artificially intelligent and autonomous war robots. Enter the PCs. They are warbots "left over" from the war. They are battle-scarred both physically and mentally from their ordeals, and with no orders to follow and no war left to fight they must find new goals and purposes for themselves. For anybody who has read any ABC Warriors, these are the lines along which the PCs will be modelled.

Excellent setting. Could even be a book. Is it?

Physical Limitation:: Command Code Vulnerability (Infrequent, Complete) -- cannot be overidden.

Ex:: Data cannot kill, he will shut down first with brain burn

Psych Limit:: Must follow authorized Command Codes (UnCommon, Irrational) -- can be mitigated with an EGO roll

Ex:: T-101 in T3 overrides the T-X orders to contravene his programming

Vulnerability (2 x Effect from Command Codes):: Construct the viruses as Mind Controls versus the machine class of minds.

Or some variant of all three.

Could you build the viruses as Transformation attacks? That way you could simulate a variety of effects. Some viruses might give Psychological Limitations, others might shut down the robots' visual receptors (making them blind), some could even cause limbs to stop working, affect their power supplies, etc. (Physical Limitations).

One virus which occurred to me is a pacifist one. Make the enemy robots unwilling to fight then either destroy them, or catch them, reprogramme them to fight for you, then give them the counter-virus, getting rid of the pacifism.

If you want, give the robots a Vulnerability to the virus attacks.

Some robots might be better protected than others, having Power Defence, or perhaps, just no Vulnerability (or both).