Pokemon conversions

whitekeys

Here's a Poké Ball I built using Cantriped's suggestion of EDM

Poké Ball: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Only Works Against Pokemon (+0), Affects Desolidified One Special Effect of Desolidification (Ghost-type; +1/4), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Usable As Attack (x16 maximum weight per inanimate target; +2 1/4) (100 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Successful EGO Roll; All Or Nothing; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With [Multiple attack] (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) [1]

*This build lacks Requires a Roll on purpose*

According to the rules, EDM has a weight restriction, so it was necessary to build in the Poké Ball's capability of capturing the largest Pokemon, Primal Groudon, as listed here. The increased weight was a +1, UAA was +1 1/4.

Affects Desolidified for obvious reasons.

Range Based on STR is an Advantage here because it's a UAA power, which is normally No Range.

Constant and Persistent because the power is being built as part of the Trainer, and we want it to work whether we are conscious or not.

I decided to go with Cannot Be Used With Multiple Attack so that Trainers couldn't lob a bunch of Poke Balls out to defend themselves from hordes of, ooh.. I dunno.. Spearow? lol

Beam was probably not necessary, as this is not a Standard Attack power. 

I don't think the whole EGO saving throw is doing it for me though. Because it's not tied to the results of battle: doing damage to a pokemon doesn't reduce its EGO, thereby having no affect on whether its caught or not. EGO Drain would be too cheese... that's like a make-my-poke-ball-work-good attack. And really, with Psychic pokemon using legit Mental Powers, it would be way to hard to catch them. And that wouldn't be fair. And I realize that input a fix for this relative to STR, which was the Physical Comlication: Half STR when at, or below, 25% STUN, but that translates to less d6 of damage, rather than a reduce Roll. I'm not sure its the same thing. For a strong Psychic pokemon with 20 EGO, reducing it to Half would result in a 13- roll going to an 11- roll. Or a weaker 10 EGO would go from an 11- roll to a 10- roll. That's less reliable in my opinion, especially with a potential (and unexplained) failed Required Roll activation. 

The compromise Cantriped suggested has promise. But I would have the capture mechanic be the Entangle, and Unify the powers - the EDM is just where they go if they can't escape. Meta-power FTW!

Poké ball: Entangle 3d6, 3 PD/3 ED, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Backlash (+1/2), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks, STR only to break out (+1) (97 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)

[1]

Poké Ball: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Only Works Against Pokemon (+0), Affects Desolidified One Special Effect of Desolidification (Ghost-type; +1/4), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Usable As Attack (x16 maximum weight per inanimate target; +2 1/4) (100 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1), Can Be Deflected (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With [Multiple attack] (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) [1]

EDIT: I kind of wanted the Always On Limitation, to reflect the fact that, after a pokemon has become your friend, and willingly goes into the Pokeball, it can't come out of its own volition to help you if you're in danger. Is this further evidence that Follower is better than Summon, since we can just turn off the power? This might be getting to complicated...

Just a short one while I have bandwidth on the road.

You don't need increased maximum weight at all. When you are teleporting or using EDM "your" weight is irrelevant. Additional Mass allows a teleporter to carry boulders or willing allies with them when they teleport/EDM. UAA makes "you" the target being attacked, meaning UAA Teleport/EDM can affect targets of any mass without paying modifiers to do so.

The EDM section shouldn't have Constant or Persistant... these modifiiers are only needed when trying to create a semipermenant Gate to another dimension, which is not how pokeballs work. They are definately Instant, and should remain so.

EDM doesn't reverse if you fall asleep in the same way you don't walk backwards in your sleep, or unteleport, the effects of movement powers linger like Damage (even if they are used as Attacks). The target stays where you put them unless they use movement powers of their own.

Also, Always On cannot be taken by standard EDM or Entangle because they are instant powers with lingering effects. Unless the creature also has EDM of their own, they can't normally come back from where you sent them. Entangle has escape mechanics of its own, and unless you pay for it to be Dismissable; you can't remove it except by those means either.

Here are some guidelines on how I would do things:

All pokemon and pokemon powers are considered to have an automatic vulnerability-slash-limitation versus the appropriate element.  So all Fire pokemon take x2 Stun from Water attacks.  They have that as a disadvantage.  All Water pokemon take a limitation on their attacks that they do half damage versus all Grass pokemon.  It might be a -0 limitation, or a -1/4, but whatever it is, it's consistent across all types.  Everybody takes the same limitation that it is of reduced effect against the appropriate counter-type.  Maybe electric, fighting, ground, and normal (I think those are the ones) get a further limitation in that they cause zero damage against certain opponents (I think electric versus ground, normal vs ghost, fighting and ground against flying, but I might be wrong on that -- and those last ones might just be the problem with having no range attacks versus a flying opponent).  Ghosts don't have to mess with Desolidification because the effect is just something that Normal type pokemon have as a limitation.

I'd establish a baseline for a generic pokemon.  Maybe an average wild pokemon hits for 6D6 or 8D6 or something like that.  More experienced, trained pokemon can go higher.  But your average, I dunno, Beedrill or something that is flying around will have 40 active point attacks or so.  Whatever the level you decide doesn't matter that much, just set a baseline that most of them follow.  I wouldn't stick too close to the pokemon stats in the game, they won't translate perfectly.  I'd scale them as much as possible to feats displayed in the cartoon, really.  So if we see Snorlax push over a tree, then he probably needs like a 50 Str or so.

Most pokemon would be handled by a Summon.  You buy it with "can summon from limited group" advantage, with the limited group being whichever pokeballs you have with you.  Pokemon should generally be bought with the friendly advantage, and things like gym badges and other accomplishments make the pokemon more likely to do what you say.  It's like bargaining with a summoned creature, but rather than giving the pokemon something to convince it to obey you, you've got the proper gym badge and that's what the pokemon looks for.

Pokeballs are an XDM, Usable Against Others, usable against pokemon only.  It you want to break it down, pokeballs versus great balls, versus ultra balls, versus master ball, then you just put limitations on them.  Pokemon would get a breakout roll of some kind to escape a ball that is too weak for their power level.

Ash's Pikachu would be purchased as a Follower, not like a normally summoned pokemon.  That thing is almost a PC in its own right.

So let's say we've got a Pidgey:

Str 5

Dex 18

Con 15

Body 10

Int 8

Ego 8

Pre 10

Com 10

PD 10

ED 10

Spd 4

Rec 4

End 30

Stun 21

16" Flight

Gust: 6D6 EB, double knockback

Quick Attack:  +6D6 Hand Attack, +5 Lightning Reflexes

Something like that.  I think pokemon should generally be able to beat on each other without really taking Body damage.  So I'd give them all a minimum of 10 PD and ED.  Humans don't really seem to be a threat versus pokemon.  Even a lowly Caterpie could probably render a human helpless with a String Shot.

The problems will be when you have a few different moves with a very similar description (Pidgey can use Gust, Whirlwind, Hurricane, Twister, and Air Slash), and you have to decide which one should be represented by which Hero Power.  I'd probably try to reproduce the visuals from the show more than the specific game mechanics of the video game (String Shot would maybe be an Entangle, not a Dex/Spd Drain).

Here are some guidelines on how I would do things:

All pokemon and pokemon powers are considered to have an automatic vulnerability-slash-limitation versus the appropriate element.  So all Fire pokemon take x2 Stun from Water attacks.  They have that as a disadvantage.  All Water pokemon take a limitation on their attacks that they do half damage versus all Grass pokemon.  It might be a -0 limitation, or a -1/4, but whatever it is, it's consistent across all types.  Everybody takes the same limitation that it is of reduced effect against the appropriate counter-type.  Maybe electric, fighting, ground, and normal (I think those are the ones) get a further limitation in that they cause zero damage against certain opponents (I think electric versus ground, normal vs ghost, fighting and ground against flying, but I might be wrong on that -- and those last ones might just be the problem with having no range attacks versus a flying opponent).  Ghosts don't have to mess with Desolidification because the effect is just something that Normal type pokemon have as a limitation.

I'd establish a baseline for a generic pokemon.  Maybe an average wild pokemon hits for 6D6 or 8D6 or something like that.  More experienced, trained pokemon can go higher.  But your average, I dunno, Beedrill or something that is flying around will have 40 active point attacks or so.  Whatever the level you decide doesn't matter that much, just set a baseline that most of them follow.  I wouldn't stick too close to the pokemon stats in the game, they won't translate perfectly.  I'd scale them as much as possible to feats displayed in the cartoon, really.  So if we see Snorlax push over a tree, then he probably needs like a 50 Str or so.

Most pokemon would be handled by a Summon.  You buy it with "can summon from limited group" advantage, with the limited group being whichever pokeballs you have with you.  Pokemon should generally be bought with the friendly advantage, and things like gym badges and other accomplishments make the pokemon more likely to do what you say.  It's like bargaining with a summoned creature, but rather than giving the pokemon something to convince it to obey you, you've got the proper gym badge and that's what the pokemon looks for.

Pokeballs are an XDM, Usable Against Others, usable against pokemon only.  It you want to break it down, pokeballs versus great balls, versus ultra balls, versus master ball, then you just put limitations on them.  Pokemon would get a breakout roll of some kind to escape a ball that is too weak for their power level.

Ash's Pikachu would be purchased as a Follower, not like a normally summoned pokemon.  That thing is almost a PC in its own right.

I agree on most of these points. I had considered having some pokemon be followers and some be summons. The ones you just use for battles could be summons, but the ones (for roleplaying purposes) that you work on training, have out, and use for lots of non-combat situations, could be followers. 

I'm working on some baseline Wild Pokemon, right now, on 50 points, with one 10-point complication. I've gone with no Vulnerabilities or Damage Reduction powers for points, just ones for no points, but the other options mentioned by people are fair and usable. With your suggestion, I'm not sure what you meant by "appropriate element". Did you mean the ones from the game, or the ones that make realistic sense?

So let's say we've got a Pidgey:

Str 5

Dex 18

Con 15

Body 10

Int 8

Ego 8

Pre 10

Com 10

PD 10

ED 10

Spd 4

Rec 4

End 30

Stun 21

16" Flight

Gust: 6D6 EB, double knockback

Quick Attack:  +6D6 Hand Attack, +5 Lightning Reflexes

Something like that.  I think pokemon should generally be able to beat on each other without really taking Body damage.  So I'd give them all a minimum of 10 PD and ED.  Humans don't really seem to be a threat versus pokemon.  Even a lowly Caterpie could probably render a human helpless with a String Shot.

The problems will be when you have a few different moves with a very similar description (Pidgey can use Gust, Whirlwind, Hurricane, Twister, and Air Slash), and you have to decide which one should be represented by which Hero Power.  I'd probably try to reproduce the visuals from the show more than the specific game mechanics of the video game (String Shot would maybe be an Entangle, not a Dex/Spd Drain).

I'm using 6E, but this will be helpful to people using 5E. Thanks for the contribution! As for your last comment, it's a good point, which is why I'm leaving it totally up to each player to create their own attacks. It leaves it open and free, and players won't argue about it (that's my feeling, anyway). They can be whatever they want them to be and whatever they think will be fun to teach their pokemon.

So, I'm not hung up on levels (of pokemon, from the videogames), but I thought of an interesting idea to simulate them in a HERO rpgame. What if the Active point cap (and possibly other caps, as well) were a figured on the Base Points of the character.

For example, I'm working on a Koffing with 60 Base points. Divided by two, that produces an Active Point limit on Powers of 30. It seems reasonable so far. I was able to make two Powers with the same special effect: Sludge as a Flash 6d6 and an Entangle 3d6/3/3. For the Charmander, 50 Base Points, a 25 AP cap means 5d6 Blast, an average of 15 STUN per attack, with an average PD/ED of 6 and STUN of 30. That takes 5 successful hits to knockout (ignoring the recovery score).

There could be other formulae, like 1/3 or 2/3 the Base Points, or different caps for different types of attacks (Entangles vs. Blasts). Divided by two was the one that seemed to make the most sense to me right now.

EDIT: 

Another idea that just hit me, as an example of how caps can simulate the leveling up, or generic growth and evolution, of pokemon, is to cap HA at twice that of the pokemon's STR, so physical moves like Scratch can only increase HTH Damage twofold. Otherwise, using the cap rule from above, a Charmander would be able to Scratch for HA 7d6 even though its relative STR is only 10.

Here are some baseline Pokemon I've created. I would love feedback on them. 

Charmander, Rattata, Pidgey, Ditto, and Abra, are meant to be "wild" pokemon. This typically means they're a little weaker, and they have different Complications, and they have basic attacks. Ekans and Koffing, I have built as starter pokemon, owned by a trainer, with 10 extra Base Points.

Charmander.hdc

Rattata.hdc

Pidgey.hdc

Wild Ditto.hdc

Abra.hdc

Ekans.hdc

Koffing.hdc

I'll have to look at the writeups later when I've got access to HeroDesigner, but I would suggest that pokemon should not necessarily be point balanced with one another.  A wild Charmander maybe should be more points than a wild Ekans.

Not that you have to (or even should try to) make them the same balance as they are in the video game, or TV show, or card game.  But I don't think making them all on the same points in Hero is necessarily a good idea.  Wild pokemon, in the cartoon and the video games, varied in power level quite a bit.  And they all have abilities that aren't always going to be point efficient to replicate in Hero.

I'll have to look at the writeups later when I've got access to HeroDesigner, but I would suggest that pokemon should not necessarily be point balanced with one another.  A wild Charmander maybe should be more points than a wild Ekans.

Not that you have to (or even should try to) make them the same balance as they are in the video game, or TV show, or card game.  But I don't think making them all on the same points in Hero is necessarily a good idea.  Wild pokemon, in the cartoon and the video games, varied in power level quite a bit.  And they all have abilities that aren't always going to be point efficient to replicate in Hero.

It's good to point out that the power level of the wild pokemon in the anime, and to a certain extent in the video games as well, were not all the same power level. I chose to point-balance the pokemon for a few reasons:

1. I felt it was in keeping with the HERO System philosophy in general, though that doesn't refute anything you mentioned in your post.

2. Despite being "wild", these were also designed as potential starter pokemon that PCs could choose from at the beginning of a campaign. That, or pokemon that they might catch early on in the game, and my desire was to have them be similar power levels to the starter pokemon. I had to ask myself "In a campaign where the PCs are freshly 10 years old, how powerful would their starter pokemon, and the first pokemon encountered, be?"

3. Since they would be purchased by PCs during their Pokemon Trainer character creation, point-balance seemed like an important facet of creating these creatures for the indirect influence they would have on the point-balance of the characters themselves. But that would also be the decision of the person buying the pokemon Summon or Follower.

4. The process of creating pokemon, and the end product, are as varied and unique as Superheroes are in any odd Champions campaign (or any other character in any other genre of fiction, for that matter). Who's to say what pokemon learn, as they grow up in the wild, in order to protect themselves? Who's to say what restrictions there are on how Trainers train their pokemon and what techniques they utilize? The points are essentially irrelevant in this respect, but in terms of comparing them here and in play-tests, I thought point-balance would help. And further to that, point-balance issues in general in a Pokemon campaign, will be an important issue to tackle at some stage. For example, if you decide to make your starter pokemon on more points, how easily will you be able to defeat the Elite Four with virtually no experience? I think we can agree there must be some significant differentiation.

That being said, I didn't think these pokemon would be standards, necessarily. They just seemed to work. It was almost like young, weak, wild pokemon, such as I created here, were the equivalent of Skilled Normal Characters in the HERO System Character Type Guidelines table. Which means, more powerful pokemon could utilize that guideline in cases of higher point totals, like Powerful Heroic pokemon or Cosmically Powerful Superheroic pokemon, for example.

I definitely encourage people to come up with more, asking questions like "How powerful would Team Rocket's pokemon be?" or "How powerful would the Elite Four's pokemon be?" or "Even though the Snorlax in Red/Blue was level 30... I wonder how powerful it should be in this campaign?"

• 3 weeks later...

We officially started a Pokemon campaign last Thursday. Here are the details:

I appreciate the standard/cliche stuff when trying out a new genre or series for the first time, so we agree to be 10 year-olds, entering the next stage of life as new pokemon trainers, and embarking on a journey of... well, that's up to the PCs!

I elaborated on the idea that coming-of-age trainers get a starter Pokemon form a Pokemon Professor at a research facility. I figured, with a touch more realism, kids could probably get their starter pokemon from all kinds of different sources (like buying them, legally or illegally, or handed down from a parent, or any other tradition similar to hunting IRL, etc.) but I liked the idea of organizations offering starter pokemon to kids in exchange for student/summer work. The PCs liked the idea of getting a job with a conservationist group and choosing from a number of pokemon that were sick/orphaned. Part of their job is to rehabilitate them. Then they put in a few months of data collection (like counting the number of pokemon species in an area) and maintenance (clearing waterways, planting trees, etc). It's a dynamic setting - it gets them out, moving, doing things, and in the exact kind of environment where they're likely to encounter wild pokemon, or other morally black-and-white problems like poachers, natural disasters, corporate insurgency, or diseases.

Their first pokemon, and any other pokemon obtained in a similar way (with significant plot implications, that is), is built as a follower (caught pokemon built as Summons). I will create them and give them interesting personality quirks, and complications.

It's in an area East of Orre, west of Aron, according to this map.

Everything else is pretty much standard. I'll come out with some of the character creation basics that I have laid down, for both trainers and pokemon. But I've been trying to re-envision the pokemon League as an organization that doesn't just schedule the contests, tournaments, and the gyms, but is actually governmental and polices the use and care of pokemon in every facet. Any ideas of what might be contained in something like The Pokemon Act? lol

The Pokemon Act:

This document would probably set humanition standards for pokemon treatment. It might also stipulate legal capture conditions, and legal methods of restraint (which led to the development of standardized pokeballs).

This document would likely set forth the standards of pokemon battles and dueling. Setting limits on the number of pokemon brought into a battle or even carried on your person. Certain techniques might be outlawed; those that would automatically kill pokemon, or those that cause massive collateral damage. 

This document would restrict how pokemon were used by industry and military organizations.

For example, the use of pokemon as or by soldiers against humans or other pokemon is likely considered a war crime. It would likely be illegal (or even a war crime) to use psychic pokemon to control/influence government officials, and maybe even humans in general. So as to prevent the creation of shadow governments, or prevent the "police" from psychically torturing prisoners, or forcing them to make false confessions. Similarly, the use of pokemon in industry is likely severely limited, given their intelligence it is likely illegal to harvest plant and beast like pokemon as food products... So no Miltank Burgers with a Oddish side salad. Pikachu running in treadmills and using their powers to produce electricity for cities have to be given breaks, and fed appropriately, etc. 

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with one of the earlier episodes called So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd? The PokeDex states that Farfetch'd "makes a delicious soup" or something like that, "especially when prepared with leek". I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or something, because it gives the idea that people actually eat pokemon. Curious!

I figured two broad categories (very broad) of legislation would be protecting the rights of pokemon (under which most of the stuff you mentioned falls), and licensing/educating trainers. I figured it was a lot like hunting and similar animal rights rules we have IRL. 

You had some great suggestions!

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with one of the earlier episodes called So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd? The PokeDex states that Farfetch'd "makes a delicious soup" or something like that, "especially when prepared with leek". I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or something, because it gives the idea that people actually eat pokemon. Curious!

I figured two broad categories (very broad) of legislation would be protecting the rights of pokemon (under which most of the stuff you mentioned falls), and licensing/educating trainers. I figured it was a lot like hunting and similar animal rights rules we have IRL. 

You had some great suggestions!

That episode sounds familiar, but it has literally been more than a decade since I watched the show. I mostly played the games (Up through leaf green, and then later a fair bit of PokeMMO). I would avoid having pokemon be legally edible given the nature of your campaign; it's just all kinds of macabre.

That episode sounds familiar, but it has literally been more than a decade since I watched the show. I mostly played the games (Up through leaf green, and then later a fair bit of PokeMMO). I would avoid having pokemon be legally edible given the nature of your campaign; it's just all kinds of macabre.

lol, true. I wonder what chocolate covered Caterpie tastes like? Ryhorn, an aphrodisiac?