Absorption vs Stun

dsatow

Question

When taking absorption as a defense, does

1) The entire absorption act as a defense against stun if there is not enough Body done?  (i.e.: you have 12 Body absorption, but only 7 Body is done)

2) If there is no Body, does the absorption still act as a defense against the stun?

3) (Slightly off topic) If another character uses a defense usable against another or a barrier to protect the hero, does the hero still get to absorb the body?

4) (Completely off topic) Who are you rooting for the world series? :)

I think I know the answer but would like to make sure.

1 answer to this question

1-2.  There’s been some confusion on this issue over the years, a lot of it no doubt caused by li’l ol’ me, so I’m going to try to clarify things.

6E1 166 states, “Each BODY of Absorption purchased counts as 1 point of PD or ED.” Therefore the amount of BODY Absorbed doesn’t matter — as long as the character’s capable of Absorbing from an attack, he gets that full defense, regardless of what he rolls for Absorption. However, as stated in part on APG2 22, if he’s not capable of Absorbing (typically because he’s reached his maximum, but possibly for other reasons), then the defense no longer applies at all.

I think that covers your first two points, but if I’ve overlooked something PM me and I’ll edit accordingly. ;)

3. A character can only Absorb from attacks that hit or affect him — as stated on 6E1 166, if he Blocks or Dodges an attack, he can’t Absorb from it. A Defense Power UOO would still allow the attack to hit/affect him, so he could Absorb from it. If a Barrier blocks the attack entirely, no Absorption’s possible, but if any damage gets through he could Absorb that damage.

4. Uhhh... no idea. Who’s gonna play?