Riddle I don't have a clever answer for

Urlord

Hello all,

In last weekend's game session, the players were given a riddle to solve by a mischievous spirit just before the game session ended. I came up with it off the top of my head (or pulled it out of my a$$) and I don't have a clever answer to it. I'm looking for your help.

The riddle is:

What do you give that can't be given?

So....

What did you come up with? I mean, have you decided how to conclude that scene?

Ha, yeah that was funny.

Actually, the game session was last week and I went with Duke's recommendation that the spirit was trying to get them to come up with the answer when he couldn't. In the end, they really frustrated the spirit because every answer they gave he had already tried. That lead to questions about who the spirit was answering the riddle for and they learned of a swamp hag that had bound the spirit to do her bidding with this seemingly answerless riddle.

They tracked down the hag, and she attacked them before they could even confront her. Not because of the spirit, but she thought they had come to rescue the four children she hand taken captive.

The battle was pretty epic with a giant crocodile, animated plants and a total of five spirits against them (including the one they had talked to originally). They hated attacking the spirits because they knew they were being forced to fight against their will.

In the end, they made it to the hags hut and she turned into an albatross and flew away - vowing to make them pay for spoiling her plans.

They freed the children & returned them to their parents in a nearby village. They buried the spirit's remains in the village cemetery, which freed the spirits as well. The villagers gave them 27 silver and 51 copper (all they could scrape together), and a wagon with an ox loaded with harvested barley, turnips and 2 casks of local ale. The spirit that originally gave them the riddle thanked them and told them of a cave on a nearby island, where he and his shipmates had once stashed some treasure. This was before their ship was lured onto the rocks by the hag who killed those who made it to shore and enslaved their spirits (they were pirates in life).

This is a great example of how a simple, off the cuff, comment can turn into a great plot device. Thanks to all of you who gave ideas for the riddle. They were all great to read.