Autofire as a naked advantage

akrippler

Using 5e

Ive got a few points im unsure about

First did I buy it correctly?

Second how much END does it cost?

Third, does buying it this way let me do both ranged and melee autofires?

Autofire as a naked advantage on HKA up to 2d6+1 (35) (2-3 attacks) (+1/4) = 7

add range based on STR (+1/4) = 9

OIF Only daggers (-1/2) = 6 points

So active is 9, cost is 6

That means each time I swing or throw a dagger using autofire I only add 1 END to the cost right? Since everything besides STR is 1 per 10?

Could also use a litle help just making sure im spending END with daggers correctly both with and without the autofire.

Daggers are 1d6-1 I bought a d6 of deadly blow, that bumps it up to 2d6-1 then I have enough "weapon training" (str with daggers) to bring me up to 2d6+1 KA

So 6 str to wield a dagger, and 2DC's from str (daggers are 6.25STR per DC) so thats a total of 18str, or 4 END. Plus 1 from the single dice of deadly blow.

So 5 END per swing/throw or 6 when using autofire?

Thanks in advance for helping me clear it up.

This one is a bit complicated, because you are mixing adders with advantages. So first lets figure the naked advantage cost.

Range Based on Strength and Autofire on up to 35 AP of HKA: 35*1.25= 52.5. 52.5-35=17.5, round to 17 AP.

OIF (Dagger of Opportunity): -1/2 (assuming your GM rates it at that, it is -1/4 for me), 17/1.5=11.3, round to 11 RP.

Next, the STR will need to be apportioned across the advantaged HKA. To add 1 DC you would need 5*1.5=7.5, round to 7 STR per DC. So to add 2DC you would need a STR of 20 (14+ the 6 STR Min for daggers). All of this assumes that your GM lets you take the damage for a dagger over 4 DC (double the base DC of the weapon) without damaging it.

END expediture would be 4 END, because per the 6e Equipment Guide:

All HTH Combat weapons are built as HKAs (or HAs) with the Advantage Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) and the Limitations OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), and Strength Minimum (varies). 

Hope that helps?

- E

Thanks man awesome, I see now I made the error of calculating advantages on the naked advantage instead of the actual power itsself.

Can you clarify if your END calculation is based on just attacking with the dagger, or is that with the autofire? 

Also just for my own curiosity, does your group not allow deadly blow?

The END cost of the Naked Advantage is figured separately from the base ability that it applies to.

To see a similar example for a gun user see the John Wick link in my signature below.

:)

HM

Ah, I had forgotten that little tidbit. (page reference: 6e1, 314) So End would be:

17 (AP of Naked Advantage): 2

20 (AP of STR used to raise attack to 2d6+1): 4

So 6 END per use, 18 END if you strike 3 times.

- E

Also just for my own curiosity, does your group not allow deadly blow?

I allow it, but I don't generally give it out in 3DC blocks and I limit the total DC's of it a character can have. A starting character can max out at 3 DC, I will probably have a campaign cap of 6 DC. And I am fairly sure right now that I will apply the "double weapon damage" maximum before I start having weapons break. Better weapons will have a better chance of surviving the occasional push.

- E

I allow it, but I don't generally give it out in 3DC blocks and I limit the total DC's of it a character can have. A starting character can max out at 3 DC, I will probably have a campaign cap of 6 DC. And I am fairly sure right now that I will apply the "double weapon damage" maximum before I start having weapons break. Better weapons will have a better chance of surviving the occasional push.

- E

We've taken the approach of a DC per 50 points, so a starting 150 point character can have 1 full dice of deadly blow. 

Seem reasonable. I assume that this applies equally to spell casters? 

I'd guess so, though I never thought of it before.  Guess there is nothing saying they can't buy it for all their spells huh? 

We haven't limited DC's yet though, infact our games only problem so far seems to be the wide disparity in OCV/DCV of the characters. 

After skill levels and weapon focus martial arts, the fighter can get up to 14 DCV with a defensive strike.  Compared to the rogues 7 DCV and the mages 4 its tough to find a medium.

Re: the original question of whether the Naked Autofire build could be applied to both Ranged & HTH attacks.

I don't know of a specific rule that says no but I believe most GM's would say 2 separate builds would be necessary just based on the sfx. Throwing daggers means the character needs to actually have that many daggers on their person. An Autofire HTH attack would typically be made with a single dagger. That difference alone seems enough to require a separate build to me.

HM

I'd guess so, though I never thought of it before.  Guess there is nothing saying they can't buy it for all their spells huh? 

We haven't limited DC's yet though, infact our games only problem so far seems to be the wide disparity in OCV/DCV of the characters. 

After skill levels and weapon focus martial arts, the fighter can get up to 14 DCV with a defensive strike.  Compared to the rogues 7 DCV and the mages 4 its tough to find a medium.

AOE, the great equalizer. Have a troll, ogre, ettin or what have you with a big club. Buy it AOE: One Hex Doubled (+3/4) [5e, 248] and make him have an appropriately low DEX so that he does not swing until after the fighter. Then he just has to hit the DCV3 hex for the two hexes in front of him and WHAMMO. Opposing mages can take AOE: One Hex Accurate for the same effect. 

Also, make sure you have players allocate their levels at the start of the phase. And use things like Multiple Attackers (6 pixies with 1/2d6 RKA javelins can easily stun a lightly armored high DCV foe), Prone, Brace and set. Have someone with levels only to disarm. Vary it up to keep them thinking. =)

- E

Re: the original question of whether the Naked Autofire build could be applied to both Ranged & HTH attacks.

I don't know of a specific rule that says no but I believe most GM's would say 2 separate builds would be necessary just based on the sfx. Throwing daggers means the character needs to actually have that many daggers on their person. An Autofire HTH attack would typically be made with a single dagger. That difference alone seems enough to require a separate build to me.

HM

I would allow it, since you went ahead and paid the points for the advantage "Range By Strength". You would be limited to how many daggers you had, of course. If you had not paid points for it, I would go with what HM said.

- E