Constructing a mage's mansion

Mark Rand

Originally posted by Mark Rand

My dead world is actually a pocket reality created by the Powers That Be to hold buildings and objects from versions of Earth where people died out. Of course, before they let the heroes have access to it, they made sure all harmful agents were destroyed.

Kinda like the Sea of Eden, from Chrono Cross? In the Sea of Eden, bits and pieces of timelines that never occured sit in Limbo, frozen forever. That kinda deal?

Originally posted by Mark Rand

Mayday, thanks for the inspiration.

Never heard of it, Fenixcrest. Can you tell me where to find it?

Chrono Cross, for the Sony Playstation. It's a really cool game, once you get past the confusey storyline. That's where the Sea of Eden came from. Your idea just really reminded me of that place, wherein dwell the ghosts of things which might have been but now will not.

One of the best campaigns I ever played in was based in New Orleans. It was a mystical based campign and the Gm had built us a haunted mansion as a base. Instead of an AI we had a friendly ghost [built using the base rules] . In the three years I played in the campaign we never fully explored the mansion.Different rooms had different possibilities and powers instead of labs or healing by science.With a tip of he Hat to Kevin the GM.

The original idea was to use the Paulson Mansion, whose floor plans I found on the net, as the basis For the sorceress's house. Since it was an elevator and the one from The House That Jack Built doesn't, that might work better.

The underground base could be based on the original Wayne Manor Batcave.

A female ghost, Rose, from Titanic, wearing a black evening gown and long white gloves, haunts the mansion. She's kind and easy to get along with.

The second floor has two gates. One leads to the USC gymnasium. Cheerleader uniforms from 1978 were found in a storage room. The second leads to a medical clinic, also from 1978. There, everyone wore white lab coats. The nursing staff wore them over their uniforms. The nurses also wore white caps. The team's nurse, who, until then, only wore scrubs, tried a white uniform and cap on for fun, found she liked the look, and now dresses that way.

The attic leads to the otherworld. Its major feature is a large public park with hiking trails. The other structures, including the Japanese garden complex, fit around it.

The idea of the otherworld area being buildings around a large city park is a new one. The original one had nine buildings in three rows of three.

If I go back to this, with the plans I have now, the setup could be a hotel, church and theater in the first row, the medical clinic, Washington Monument and gymnasium in the second and a mansion and two others in the third.

Comments and suggestions for the last two are requested. Remember, I have to be able to find plans for these buildings somewhere.