Magic System - Skill Levels

Muldegian

I was thinking about Magic systems and sorta unifying them for my home game and came up with the following. It basically uses the concept of Combat Skill Levels on magic.

Magic:

Players are required to purchase a Power Roll in order to use magic. All forms of magic will use a variation of this roll. The majority of magic users are elementilists who have access to a single school of Elemental Magic, however some more gifted magic users have access to all of the elemental schools.

All magic is based from the elements but few are able to progress beyond the foundation of magic. These powerful commanders of magic are called Summoners, Necromancers, Sorcerers, and Wizards, progressing into this level of magic requires an inborn trait.

Finally, there are the low-mage types; these are men and women who master witchcraft, divination, or alchemy. They do not have access to the higher schools.

RULES:

The Power Skill will be used for magic but will have differing costs dependant on how many different schools the wizard chooses to study. It is not permissible to skip any steps in the point chart.

Power Skill Cost

3 points = Ego/5 + 9

Magic Skill Levels

Single Element = +2 for a +1 to the Roll

Three Elements = +3 for a +1 to the Roll

Elements plus a Named School = +5 for a +1 to the Roll

True Mage (All Schools) = +8 for a +1 to the Roll

These levels may stack in reverse (just like combat) - that is your Bonus Skill Levels in True Mage can apply to a Elemental Skill Check but your bonus to elemental rolls does not apply to a spell from a named school.

Talent Elemental Magic – Free to anyone

Talent Single Named School – 5 Points

Talent All Named Schools – 15 Points

Ideas? suggestions? Comments?

This is just the Arcane magic....I have some other ideas for divine magic though it is much less common in my world than standard D&D.

I have some other cancepts on how the Endurance Battery will work in conjunction to these rules.

A true mage might have something like this on his character sheet:

Cost ....Schools.............Bonus to Roll

3....Magic Skill................ -14

4....Fire Magic..................+2

9....Fire, Earth, Air............+3

15...Elements + Sorcery.....+3

16...All Magic ..................+2

....................................Skill Roll

Fire Magic Total Roll.........-24

Fire, Air, Earth Roll...........-22

Sorcery Roll....................-19

All other Schools.............-16

What sort of an Active Point level will result in a -1 to the Magic Skill roll? For instance is it -1 per 10 Active Point, -1 per 5 Active Points?

What about Power Frameworks? Are Elemental Controls allowed? What about Multipowers? Or are all spells bought independently? If the latter will the Real Cost of spells be done with a divisor such as in the Turakian system?

Of course I kinda have an inside as to what you are thinking but I imagine that the questions I have posed will foster a little better understanding of what you are doing and get you some better feedback. If I hadn't talked with you some before I would have looked at your first post and went huh...;)

Ok, I guess I will try to make this a little more clear.

I am using the Magic stuff from the Grimeore.

Spells are purchased individually with a divisor on real costs of 3 (just like the book). Spells are purchased singularly and power frameworks may not be used except for individual spells. Mages have a -1 to the roll for each 10 AP.s

All arcane magic stems from a single source, therefore only a single Magic Skill (Power) roll is needed. To clarify, instead of buying a separate Skill Roll for each of the schools of magic, players only have a single Magic Skill but buying up the roll will vary in cost based on how broad the character wants his magic to be.

A standard skill receives a +1 to the roll for 2 cp/xp

A small group of related skills (3) receives a +1 to the roll for 3 cp/xp

A general category receives a +1 to the roll for 5 xp/cp

All combat (in this case All magic) receives a +1 to the roll for 8 cp/xp.

As a house rule, the bonus to a characters magic roll must always start with a single Element (+2 cp for +1 to roll), then Elements (+3 cp for +1 to the roll), then finally a named school (+5 cp for +1 to roll).

Some games I have played in have required that you buy skill levels up gradually, that is the GM does not let you buy an Overall level just cause you have 10 cp handy. First, you buy a level with your sword – then bump it up to all of your weapons. Later you are allowed to buy the level up to all HTH combat and finally you get the level up to an All Combat before the level becomes an Overall level. This is sorta the same thing only with magic combat.

This has an in game effect of channeling the Majority of mages into one school of Elementalism. Some will go beyond that and master 3 of the elements but those will be rare men and women of extreme dedication. To go any further in magic requires that one be born with a talent for mastering magic (5 points to access a single school and 15 points to access all of them). Only a rare few have the talent to become True Mages and Master All of the schools of magic.

The second in game effect is that elemental magic will always be easier to cast and more reliable – even for a powerful mage.

Spells will be powered by an END Battery that has a REC time dependant on your location. If the mage is in a high magic area the END Battery could recover every turn but in the lowest areas it will not recover at all and the mage would be forced to use personal END at x2 cost. In most areas END will recover on an hourly or 5 hour rate.

I hope that makes more sense. It is an easy concept to explain but not so easy to write.

Great Magic System!

I use a similar system to yours. The costs of the skills are slightly different, but otherwise the two systems are very close.

Here is mine (just the facts):

Magic skill base cost 9+(INT/5): 5 cp

+1 to magic skill to 18-: 3 cp

+1 to magic skill >18-: 4 cp

+1 to one magic type to +5: 1 cp

+1 to magic type >5: 2 cp

Spell cost: Active Points/4 cp

Spells must include either a Focus or Side Effects, but not both.