Teleport Field

GCMorris

Developing a wild card type character who is very chaotic. He can create a teleport field around him that randomly teleport people who gets near him, friend or foe. I'm thinking Teleport Useable Against Others, Area Effect: Radius, No Range

How much of a Limitation would Random Targeting be worth and would a Trigger be used here? Any other ways of building this?

For the random targeting I'd look at some combination of activation roll, continuous and possibly non-selective to go with the area effect. As soon as someone ends up within the field, the activation roll would determine if the t-port goes off. You may also need an advantage to make the aoe move with your character.

You use 4th edition right, GCMorris? If so my advice is of limited value, as I use CC/FHC as my primary rules references, however:

You could make the AoE Nonselective, and give it Hole In The Middle or Personal Immunity so that is doesn't teleport you. You could also give it a version of Limited Power that restricts it to a fixed number of targets per Activation. For example; 

Limited Power (Two Targets Per Phase, Selected From Nearest To Farthest; -1/2)

You could either make the power Persistent, or have it Trigger under specific circumstances... but neither way is going to be cheap.

What's the actual goal of the defensive t-port? Is it just supposed to make him harder to hit? If so, I'd do that with DCV Levels and just call the SFX a t-port. If it makes him basically impossible to hit, I'd build it off Desolid. If the movement is a hard requirement, then you're looking at a Triggered move.

4e is correct. I'm also wanting to give him a triggered teleport as a defense mechanism. Whenever someone gets within a certain distance, say one hex, it automatically teleport him in a random direction. Is this difficult?

It is likely to end up being fairly expensive for what you are getting.

Forced Teleport:  Teleport ?m, Area of Effect (1.5m Radius; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Trigger ("Target Enters Radius", No Time Action, Resets Automatically; +1), Usable As Attack (Recipient Must Remain Within Reach; +1) (? APs). Total Cost: 3.5 APs/RPs Per Meter.