HtH & Ranged Combat Maneuvers

g3taso

I am just beginning to investigate combat maneuvers more fully, including ones at range using TK. Not that the TK element is necessarily important for the sake of the discussion, but just in case. 5E or 6E is fine.

Anyway, I was hoping you all might consider putting some of your (legal) homemade martial maneuvers here of either the HtH or ranged variety, perhaps with a word or two of explanation if it seems appropriate. I am aware that according to the rules it is permissible to unleash several martial maneuvers on someone at once provided they have different unique bases. If there are some particularly good combos, they would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, g3taso said:

Anyway, I was hoping you all might consider putting some of your (legal) homemade martial maneuvers here of either the HtH or ranged variety, perhaps with a word or two of explanation if it seems appropriate. I am aware that according to the rules it is permissible to unleash several martial maneuvers on someone at once provided they have different unique bases. If there are some particularly good combos, they would be most welcome.

Just curious where you read that?

- E

MARTIAL MANEUVERS AND MULTIPLE POWER ATTACKS

Martial Maneuvers built on different bases can be used together as a Multiple Power Attack to pull off very efficient actions like Nerve Strike + Take Away + Leg Sweep and other such devastating combos. If one is prone to watching Kung Fu movies, a lot of the crazier stunts seen therein are most closely modeled in the HERO System via creative combinations of MPA'd Martial Maneuvers.

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHero/HERO5CombatTactics.aspx

Ahhh, okay, using Multiple Attacks in 6e parlance. Yes, quite possible and situationally valuable. Note that you are 1/2 DCV and -2 OCV cumulative penalty for each attack after the first for the entire round (so even the first attack suffers the penalty). Also, if you mix ranged and HTH there is an additional -2 OCV penalty. Also in 6e you are not restricted to moves with different bases, although some GM's may have campaign rules about it since Multiple Attack is a yield sign power.

- E

Well, the simplest is Block, then next phase Counterstrike, which is best used against foes with the same SPD as you but higher DEX.  Counterstrike lets you go first in your next phase if you successfully block an attack; against that foe (you act on their DEX.)  Add legsweep and/or martial strike or whatever as combo on the follow-up round.

Grab + Squeeze + Throw I think is specifically illegal (as it stacks too much damage into a single grab contest roll) but could be wrong.  

Grab + Off. Strike or Haymaker (for non-MA characters) is nasty, since the grab offsets the downsides of those to an extent.

If you just want to max out damage, Legsweep then Martial Strike + Offensive Strike, or those last two followed by Martial Throw.  

Just remember they all take the worst bonus / penalty of all maneuvers, so the lower damage moves are easier / better.  

And if grabbing or sweeping, grab or sweep first, then strike; if throwing, strike first, then throw.  :D

You can also "build your own maneuvers" using naked advantages - more powers than maneuvers, obviously, but you can do like rapid-fire punches using autofire NA applied to base STR, etc.