Lightning reflexes

dsatow

Question

An interesting point was made in the forums, can lightning reflexes be used for everything but recoveries in the following example?

A character has a Dex 1 but has bought +19 Lightning Reflexes for all actions except for recoveries.  His phase comes up at the effective Dex of 20 but he wants to take a recovery at Dex 1. 

Is he considered to be holding his action until Dex 1 or is he doing nothing till Dex 1 or is he taking a recovery at dex 20?

If a villain attacks him before Dex 1, is his recovery spoiled or is it unaffected?

1 answer to this question

In this situation, the character’s DEX is only 1 for purposes of taking Recoveries. (The validity of that Limitation, since a Recovery taken as an action always occurs at the very end of the Segment [6E2 129], is a question for another time.) So when DEX 20 comes up, the character’s player has to say, “I don’t get to act on DEX 20 this Phase as I usually do — I only have DEX 1 for purposes of my intended action, which is to take a Recovery.” He has to wait until DEX 1 and then declare his action — “I’m taking a Recovery.” So both because of his low DEX and the rule stating that Recoveries always come last, the character has to wait around through the entire Segment until he can Recover. If he’s attacked, the standard rules for taking a Recovery as an action (6E2 129-30) apply, possibly causing him to lose his Recovery.

I note that there's another question on this issue that was posted soon after yours, so you may want to consult that one as well.