Crush

dsatow

Question

I know crush must follow grab or crush.  Does the crush or grab bonus damage increase the hold strength?

i.e.: I grab someone with a martial grab with a 20 Str and getting an effect hold of 35 Str.  If I martial crush them next phase, is my Str effectively 20 or 40?

1 answer to this question

I’m not sure I understand you. Unless I’m forgetting or overlooking something, a Martial Grab with 20 STR is a Martial Grab with 20 STR — you don’t roll to increase the STR (to 35, in your example). You roll to hit, and then if you Squeeze the victim (or the like), the character rolls for damage based on his own personal STR. The STR used to maintain the Grab remains 20 regardless of the damage rolled (and as noted on 6E2 92, the STR bonus for Grab-based Martial Maneuvers only helps the character maintain his hold; it doesn’t increase the damage done by Squeezing, Throwing, Crushing, or what have you).

The Crush Martial Maneuver (HSMA 7, 244) provides a +4d6 damage bonus to STR when a character Crushes someone following a Grab or Crush. That damage bonus doesn’t affect the STR used to maintain the Grab in any way.

Does that answer your question? If not, please post a follow-up or PM me to let me know what I’m missing so I can give you a better response. ;)