Adding STR to HKA

Brian Stanfield

After some discussion about the rules in a different forum, I now have a question about HERO Designer's application of that rule. Here's a dagger that I got from the HS Equipment Guide prefab: Dagger:HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (26 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), STR Minimum 4 (-¼), Beam (-¼).

The character who has this dagger, however, doesn't increase Damage Classes at the rate of +1DC per 5 STR. It has changed to +1 per 6 STR. The rule on 6e2 97 says to include Advantages that directly affect damage, and in this case Range Based On STR and Reduced Endurance are not on that list of Advantages. So HERO Designer is including all the Advantages and recalculating the cost of STR to add Damage Classes. Is this an oversight, or am I missing another part of the rule?

Also, does HERO Designer recognize the difference between STR Minimum 4 or, for example 7?  The Range Based On STR menu option only lists 4-8 as a range rather than a specific number.

HD takes Advantages into account when calculating damage with STR. In the example you're using, Reduced END does not affect the damage calculation (per the rules) and is not included in HD's prorating.

STR Minimum will be taken into account if you replace the range with the actual STR Minimum to use. The range is there to set the level, it is expected that you will specify what the actual minimum is when assigning it.