What are your PCs like?

BobGreenwade

I'm thinking of writing up a quick Star Hero adventure to submit to Steve as a Free Download for the site (I'm not sure I'll do it, nor that he'll accept it, but I'm thinking about it), and I'd like to get a feel for what the PCs are like in the campaigns being run or played in by the folks here.

Though I'll be setting it in the Terran Empire, I'll be trying to write it in such a way that it can be adapted to most settings.

I don't need specifics on individual characters, just the general function they have in the galaxy so I can write in the right kind of hooks to bring them into the story. For example, the PCs in my (so far theoretical) game are members of an elite squad of soldiers who serve as the number-two team in protecting the diplomatic interests in the Mon'dabi Federation. They act as bodyguards in high-risk situations, security guards during tense matters, and law enforcement investigators for crimes committed on Terran diplomatic soil.

So... what about the rest of you? (A couple I already know, but I could use the info anyway just for comparison and completeness.)

Well, considering I've given at least one overlong post on the PCs in my campaign...

Pirates... but not entirely without honor of their own.

The captain, for example, has a few rules, for ex: no slaves.. oh, and she insists the NPC crew bathe regularly :)

They raid other ships shamelessly, yet also aren't above a good treasure hunt of sorts (Lost technology of the Mandarians etc)... chiefly they enjoy being a pain in the side of the Empire, and try to do it with Robin Hood flare (Well, they rob from the rich and keep for themselves, but they did find homes for orphans.. love this group, they're a bit nuts ;) )

Thank you, Hermit. I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to reply to this thread at all.

Actually, on some reflection, I'm thinking of gathering the hooks into three categories: 1) Working for the Imperial government. 2) Working for the rebel cause. 3) Working for profit. I think most campaigns would fall into at least one of these categories. (Monolith's game, as I recall from the session reports he used to post, is #1 with #3 as a cover story, so he could make hook #1 as the real motivation and #3 as the story they tell people.)

Any thoughts on that approach? Anyone?

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Thank you, Hermit. I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to reply to this thread at all.

Actually, on some reflection, I'm thinking of gathering the hooks into three categories: 1) Working for the Imperial government. 2) Working for the rebel cause. 3) Working for profit. I think most campaigns would fall into at least one of these categories. (Monolith's game, as I recall from the session reports he used to post, is #1 with #3 as a cover story, so he could make hook #1 as the real motivation and #3 as the story they tell people.)

Sounds interesting, some groups will have the potiential to slide over (I half way expect the profit seeking pirates to turn into full blown rebels) from one of those to the other, but the initial hooks should pretty much fall under that.

Originally posted by Hermit

Pirates... but not entirely without honor of their own.

hey. no fair! i was gonna say pirates. ;) but i 'm working on my own setting based on the Elizabethan history, not a TE one. (yes, i know about David Drake's books, but it's not based on them.)

and i don't really have any PC's since the only gamers i know spent so much money on M:tG that they don't want to play anything else. losers.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Actually, on some reflection, I'm thinking of gathering the hooks into three categories: 1) Working for the Imperial government. 2) Working for the rebel cause. 3) Working for profit. I think most campaigns would fall into at least one of these categories.

the only suggestion i have would be accidental/reluctant involvement. in other words, a DNPC needs help, or the PC's somehow get shanghaied into the adventure, etc. not sure how applicable that is.

Originally posted by chaos_engineer

the only suggestion i have would be accidental/reluctant involvement. in other words, a DNPC needs help, or the PC's somehow get shanghaied into the adventure, etc. not sure how applicable that is.

Well, you'd have no way to know how to work it in since you don't know the details of the adventure. But it's a valid possibility, and one that could create a nice personalized complication if I can fit it in.

For the basic outline of the adventure, I had been wavering between two possibilities, and decided to merge them so one becomes a complication of the other. The main goal is to rescue a Kalishiri doctor who apparently was kidnapped by a small group of Xenovores. The PCs track the apparent kidnapers to a planet in the Vorsan Expanse, where they encounter a megalomaniac Sholarron xenozoologist. (The ending, of course, is anything but what you'd expect from that description!)