Absorption with Healing Effect

Steve

Question

I'm trying to wrap my head around the description of Absorption with Healing Effect from APG1, and I'm having some difficulties.

The description says that the points gained don't fade like they would with a normal version of Absorption, which I understand defaults to the fade rate of 5 points per Turn like other Adjustment powers do.

So, how exactly does this work with the cap on Absorption points, which is normally limited to double the amount bought but fades 5 points every Turn?

Does that mean that if I buy 5 points of Absorption with Healing Effect, I can use it in Turn 1 to regain up to 10 points of BODY that don't actually fade away and then use it again in Turn 2 to regain up to 10 points again? Or am I limited to 5 points maximum I can regain in Turn 2 because the fade rate still exists even though I am not actually losing any points?

If I also buy the Advantage Defensive Absorption on such an ability, since it only absorbs when it is healing damage, does it do nothing if my character is unharmed? Or would the defense it offers only be the amount it needs to absorb to heal my character back up to full? Or would it be the full amount of the Absorption ability? Or is it some other amount?

1 answer to this question

1. On APG1 80, the text states, “a character can use Absorption with Healing Effect again and again on himself without restriction, though the GM may choose to impose restrictions on it similar to those on Healing if players use a Healing Effect power improperly.” So a character can use it to heal himself, again and again, from Absorption, regardless of his maximum. If the GM thinks this could cause game balance problems, he should of course apply some restrictions that are appropriate for his campaign.

2. If an Absorption power has both the Defensive Absorption and Healing Effect Advantages, the Absorption can only provide defense up to the amount it heals. For example, suppose Brutusk has Absorption 5 BODY (Physical, to STUN), Defensive Absorption (PD), Healing Effect. Per the rules for Absorption, the maximum effect Brutusk can Absorb is 10 BODY, and it only works when his BODY is below its normal starting total. He takes 3 BODY damage from an attack. The next time he’s hit with a Physical attack, he can Absorb the 3 BODY he needs to heal himself. Since his Absorption can only provide 3 BODY of effect, it only provides 3 points of PD, not the full 5 PD it ordinarily could.

I think that answers all your questions. If not, or if I raised further ones, please PM me or post a follow-up. ;)