A question about psycological complications.

Ronin94

Question

If a character has 2 psychological complications in conflict with each other and all else is equal what do you do? For example if if a character has the psychological complication: racist and the psychological complication: protective of innocents those two complications can overlap quite easily such as if someone of the disliked race is traped in a fire but has done nothing wrong. I assume that if the complications are uneven the more severe one wins out but what happens if they are equal? Do they just cancel each other out? Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

My apologies for taking so long to respond to your question — real life snuck up on me and got in a Surprise attacking, Knocking me Out for several Segments until I could recover. ;)

You make the EGO Roll for each Psychological Complication, as discussed in the rules for the Complication. Essentially it's an EGO Roll Versus EGO Roll Contest; the Complication that succeeds by the most wins. If they tie, keep rolling until one wins.

Alternately, forget about the dice and just let the player decide. That may lead to more fun in the campaign later, as he has to justify his decision both to himself and to his comrades.