How visible is visible?

ChocolateMousje

Question

As a default, must a power be clearly visible when it's on but not actively in use?

Example 1, a force field. Can I define it as clear (maybe a little distortion if someone looks for it) until it blocks an attack?

Example 2, a damage shield. Defined as pop-up lasers, hidden under cover until attacked.

They're there if you know what to look for, and the effects are fully visible so I don't think IPE is appropriate.

I personally think something easily visible like a fiery RKA damage shield is a -0 visible limitation (since it being that visible is just as much a deterrent advantage as a tactical limitation).

1 answer to this question

As the rules state, powers have to be perceivable by three Sense Groups “[when] being used[.]” If a power isn’t active/turned on, it’s not perceivable. Think of a car, which is loud when it’s running but makes no noise when it’s turned off.

If a character wants a power that’s always perceivable, even when turned off, he should discuss with the GM the possibility of taking a Distinctive Features Disadvantage to represent that, if appropriate.