A New race: The Kerrinur

Seenar

The Kerrinur

The Kerrinur have existed as a race among the stars for hundreds of thousands of years. Their homeworld is presumed lost to all, including the Kerrinur you around the galaxy. What is known, is that Kerrinur are scattered across terrestrial worlds throughout the galaxy.

The Kerrinur are a odd creature with both the properties of a plant and animal. As adults they are immobile, rooted to one spot for the rest of their lives. This is less of a problem than might be with their ability to spawn Gamelings.

Racial Package

6 +3 Body

3 +3 Int

5 Extra Limbs

9 Ambidexterity

5 360* sight

5 regeneration 1 body/day

13 4" stretching: only limbs, no non-combat.

8 LS: Does not sleep, longevity (800 years), safe environment high gravity

8 Summon: Up to 4 Gamlings, very limited group(+1/4), totally loyal (+1),

X3 end (-1), extra time: 6 hours (-31/2) 1 charge/week (-21/2), costs end (-1/2)

Disadvantages:

-12 -6" running

-2 -2 inches swimming

-25 Physically Immobile and 6400Kg

Skills Package: Pilot

4 +3 Lighting reflexes: neural link ship only (-1/2)

3 sys ops

3 navigation

3 combat pilot

3 computer programming

6 mind link: any ship's computer, 0 range (-1/2), neural interface OAF (-1)

Originally posted by farik

I assume the playable aspect would be the Gameling(sp)? But if that's the case they should be purchased as Duplication instead of summoning.

What are Gameling stats?

It depends on the Gameling (as in gamete, since they are a type of seed) summoned. They don't always have to be the same. One reason to use Summon.

Other Reasons to use Summon:

The summoned creatures are totally loyal, so you can play them as your own character.

The summoned gamelings don't get readsorbed.

The whole point of a Gameling is to send it off to do things. As a Summon, if they die, no big deal, which is the feel I am going for.

(As an aside, I don't think Duplication should automatically be Independent. Maybe as a limitation, but as it is, there is no other way to get the effect I want).

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

It seems like an interesting life-form, but mostly useless (or at least highly limited) as a PC species and I'm not sure what good they'd be as NPCs except as color. Do you have any scenario hook ideas for them as a species?

It would be great as a PC as long as the team had a ship. One of these would be the pilot, but also have Gamelings that could interact with the other PC's. I see three of them needed to help run the ship, and the fourth can go on away missions.

What I would most want is this sort of senerio:

PC LEADER: I have a Plan. All we need to do is draw their fire away from us somehow, while we make a break for the shuttle. How can we do that?

GAMLING: For once, you could come up with a different plan than offing me!

The Gamling runs out drawing fire. POW POW ZAP. While he is roasting, the team escapes to the shuttle.

Originally posted by Seenar

It depends on the Gameling (as in gamete, since they are a type of seed) summoned. They don't always have to be the same. One reason to use Summon.

Duplicates don't have to be identical

The summoned creatures are totally loyal, so you can play them as your own character.

Now see I guess I and the group I play with are mean because having a loyal follower is not the same as having a second character. In fact if you sent a summoned creature off to do something you couldn't observe I'd have the summoned creature follow your instructions to the best of their abilities but you wouldn't know what they were doing until they reported back (if they reported back). To me that's a fundamental difference between Summon and 5th Ed Duplication.

The summoned gamelings don't get readsorbed.

The whole point of a Gameling is to send it off to do things. As a Summon, if they die, no big deal, which is the feel I am going for.

(As an aside, I don't think Duplication should automatically be Independent. Maybe as a limitation, but as it is, there is no other way to get the effect I want).

Duplicates don't have to recombine and there's nothing saying they won't recover with reasonable time like followers the number of duplicates you can create at maximum would simulate the maximum number of gametes you can produce if you activate them all at once isn't it reasonable it will take you awhile to creat some more? I'd suggest you take another look at Duplication IMO either it's not as limited as you seem to believe or maybe you believe summon is more verstaile than I do.

Originally posted by farik

Duplicates don't have to be identical

Now see I guess I and the group I play with are mean because having a loyal follower is not the same as having a second character. In fact if you sent a summoned creature off to do something you couldn't observe I'd have the summoned creature follow your instructions to the best of their abilities but you wouldn't know what they were doing until they reported back (if they reported back). To me that's a fundamental difference between Summon and 5th Ed Duplication.

Duplicates don't have to recombine and there's nothing saying they won't recover with reasonable time like followers the number of duplicates you can create at maximum would simulate the maximum number of gametes you can produce if you activate them all at once isn't it reasonable it will take you awhile to creat some more? I'd suggest you take another look at Duplication IMO either it's not as limited as you seem to believe or maybe you believe summon is more verstaile than I do.

First, what I meant was, Duplicates do not change per duplication. They are always the same as created. Summons are not like that (with the right advnatage).

Second, The whole point of the character is to have Gamelings that run about. If the GM does not want me to have this character he can say so.

Third, you are wrong. Duplication is Independent. Steve has said so. Once that duplicate is dead, you lose the points. I suggest you take a nother look at Duplication, specifically, page 101, bottom right, going on to page 102:

If a Duplicate or the base character is killed, the others cannot revive him by recombining-he stays dead; the character has lost a part of himself.

First, what I meant was, Duplicates do not change per duplication. They are always the same as created. Summons are not like that (with the right advnatage).

I guess that would depend on how you and your GM interpret the "Altered Duplicates" advantage described on page 102.

Second, The whole point of the character is to have Gamelings that run about. If the GM does not want me to have this character he can say so.

I'm sorry if I've offended you but I was just giving my opinion of the racial package which is why I thought you posted it. I'm a firm believer in individual GM perogatives(sp?) and personally I think in concept the character sounds very interesting I was just giving my perspective including doubts and how I would suggest a remedy for my concerns if a player brought this character to me.

Third, you are wrong. Duplication is Independent. Steve has said so. Once that duplicate is dead, you lose the points. I suggest you take a nother look at Duplication, specifically, page 101, bottom right, going on to page 102:

I'll admit I never checked the FAQ for clarification about duplication our group discussed that passage on pg 102-103 and decided it refered to anything that duplicate had learned which it wouldn't be able to share by recombining (after all it doesn't say "the character points are lost"). We thought after a reasonable amount of time a duplicate could be reformed, we based that on the passage regarding the death of followers on page 58 bridging the bottom of column 1 and the top of column 2. Like I said we never checked the FAQ because it seemed reasonable to us as group. I really think this is just a matter of how we're interpreting two very versatile powers which are both similar but distinct. As you said if a GM lets you play it or not is going to be their decision I was just sharing my $0.02