sturmrider

Darkness Invisible to sight group

I've created a darkness field and was thinking it would be neat if it was invisible to sight group. The issue I am having is how to explain the workings of this for the GM. Would it be where I cast the darkness it would just become an invisible area with say portions cut off such as the stern of a boat disappearing? Any help will be appreciated. I thought I found it in the book, but now I can't find the reference. Always happens that way. Good to have you back Steve, I have been away a while as well. It is Larry Whalen the old Monkeygod Enterprises owner. Take care.

Hey Larry!

Sorry for the delay in responding — the latter part of February was unusually busy, and then food poisoning/a stomach bug sidelined me all last week. I’m only now catching up with things.

I’m not sure I’ve ever written about this; if I did it was years ago, for one or two editions ago, and I have no idea what I said. ;) So, I reserve the right to change my answer if someone finds the text you think you remember. (I thought it might be on 6E2 7-14, but I didn’t see anything there.)

If a character applies Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group; +½) to Darkness for Sight Group (or any other combination of the same Sense(s) Group(s), or other Sense-Affecting Powers), how you describe it depends on the special effects involved first and foremost. The game effect is that there’s a “blank zone” in the character’s Sight with no obvious cause. He just can’t see anything there — not the Darkness (which the Advantage makes invisible), and not the underlying area (which the Darkness hides).

The bizarre “logic” of this is a good indication that the GM probably shouldn’t allow this power unless the player has a reeeeallly good reason for it. ;)