Advantage example confusion

ibenny

Question

It's embarrassing but I can't seem to wrap my head around this simple example..Take the one on pg. 43, Advantages for Strength:

"Example: Grond (STR 90) wants the ability to do a "Shockwave" - to slam the ground with his fists and damage anyone standing nearby. He buys that as a naked Area of Effect (Radius Explosion) Advantage for his STR, witch certain Power Modifiers:

Area of Effect (16m Surface Radius Explosion; +1/2) for up to 90 STR, Hole In The Middle (the 1m radius area Grond stands in when he uses the power;+1/4) (56 points); Can Only Be Applied To Horizontal Surfaces (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Only Does Knockdown, Not Knockback (-0). Total cost: 32 points"

What is confusing me the Active cost, how to calculate that? In theory, the base cost for this would be 32 (32*(1+0.5+0.25)=56), but I don't understand the initial Active cost. What do I miss? And excuse me for the lame question. :)

1 answer to this question

First off, no apologies necessary on your part (if anything, I owe you one for taking so long to respond). There are no lame questions here! That’s one of the main reasons we have this forum — to give me a chance to clarify things that confuse people when they read the rulebook.

This is a naked Advantage, so we start by looking at what it would apply to. It’s a +½ Advantage that applies to “up to 90 STR.” 90 STR would cost 90 Character Points, so a +½ Advantage applied to 90 Character Points costs 45 Character Points. But we’re not done yet, since this naked Advantage has an Advantage of its own:  Hole In The Middle (+¼). 45 Character Points with a +¼ Advantage yields an Active Point cost of (45 * (1 + ¼) = ) 56 Active Points.

Make sense now? If not, feel free to PM me, or post a follow-up question, and I’ll keep trying until it does.