So I'm working on a possible future campaign...

OctoberRaven

Some of the people in my current L5R gaming group have expressed an interest in a Champions/Dark Champions game, and if we decide to do that, I plan on doing a hybrid (possibly DC:TAS) of the two.

I have two major canidates for the location: Chicago and Hudson City. I also have considered other places: Miami, Florida and it's surrounding area (specifically my old hometown of Hialeah), Las Vegas, Tokyo, Prauge and London.

I already have an idea for how the group gets together, by joining an underground vigilante group. I also have a few homebrew enemies/organizations in mind (and may also use at least one from the standard Champions universe).

Now, as I've never run a modern-day setting campaign (I did run a one-shot d20 Modern session, though), is there any advice or ideas any GMs can give me? Anything is appreciated.

Re: So I'm working on a possible future campaign...

Let me know what happens please. I posted an idea for an alternate US history (mostly reshaping the political climate) to my group and got two players who are interested in my actually running it. I haven't run Hero before but played for years in multiple campaigns. Best of luck to both of us.

Regardless of the campaign genre I prefer to work in the near future. There is enough similarity to current time to make the players comfortable and you can alter the campaign to suit your need (like changing who is President) without breaking current actual events.

Technology levels are approximately the same (again, that comfort level thing) and weapons and stuff have basically the same power level and affect that all the players would be used to.

It depends on how hard you want to work, but I would suggest using Hudson City, since it is already written up. Either that or create a totally fictional city, because you'll always have some smartass that will call you on some piddly thing you forgot about the real city that your campaign is based in.

Hm, makes sense, and that means I don't *need* to make as many homebrew NPCs. So far I've decided to bring in a slightly weaker Black Harlequin, and have a homebrew 'good guy' group made to either rival or replace LIBRA. Also got a few 'slightly superpowered' NPCs in mind (as the idea of the campaign is supers exist but they don't have world-threatening powers).

Correction. You obviously haven't heard Super Steve.

Back to the topic, I've decided to go for Hudson City. That being said, I'm using The Harbringer and LIBRA, as well as a rival, more underground group called the Brotherhood of the Black Dagger. I'll have a writeup on the group (and singnificant members) later.