Experiences teaching people Hero Game system

bluesguy

6 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Why not add the bonus, or subtract the penalty, from the roll in that case?  +1 OCV becomes +1 to the roll, which means you roll a 7, plus 1 is 8.  A -1 penalty reduces a roll of 9 to an 8.

Sure, that (modifiers modify the dice result not the resolution target) would work.

For instance a character with 5 OCV could hit on a 5+ if the target resolution were modified, but it could instead be stated as hit on a 10+ on a "3d6+5" attack roll...with the target's DCV acting as a penalty to the dice result. Thus a 5 DCV target would impose a -5 penalty to the dice result...which is the same odds as 10+ on a 3d6 roll, but the semantics of bonuses being a + and penalties being a - is maintained.

Anyone else have instances of "Things I Messed up in the Moment?" 

I owe another installment on this - I think I'm going to start documenting the rulings/questions we resolve, because the same (or very similar issue) came up again with the PC w/Desolid and Disarm.

Shouldn't surprise me - it's a smart move, to want to run around Disarming people and then turning incorporeal.

• 2 months later...