Aquarian Age: Angels and Demons

Steve

Before coming to Earth, the Fae lived in a realm populated by the combined imaginings of humanity. So, in addition to the Sidhe, there also existed beings created from humanity's beliefs in what angels and demons were like.

While it is still being debated if God, the Devil and their respective servants are real, among the populace of Aquarian Age Earth are angels and demons. Reduced to a mortal status like the Fae were by the closure of the gates back to Faerie, these beings live on Earth and do their best to prosper.

Pop culture helped define them before their arrival, so the ones that made it to Earth are quite human-like in appearance. In regions of high glamour, they are even able to manifest semblances of their old abilities, like wings or flaming swords. Outside of such zones, most appear to be attractive humans of Caucasian or Middle-Eastern descent. Those involved in relationships with humans have been able to have offspring, such children taking after their 'divine' or 'infernal' parent.

Their existence has caused a revival of interest in religion, some of it quite fierce. There are those who think this is some sort of masquerade, that these beings really are angels and demons, pretending to be mortal to blend in. Others aren't sure.

So do these angels and demons retain their divine heritage (i.e. their celestial and fiendish powers)? Do they now naturally appear as mortal beings, or do they use magic to blend in (or do they need to blend in)? Are these beings now known 

Now that they are mortal, is there any moral ambiguity in their behaviors? That is, can they switch sides so to speak? Can the mortal angels be tempted to the dark side, or demons be moved by the preaching and teachings of the church?

What sort of feedback are you looking for here?

I'm mainly looking for questions and feedback that will help me refine details for things. My initial postings are pretty broad-based, I admit. I'm fleshing out a campaign setting, so questions on how things work help me focus.

In this case, these beings aren't really divine or infernal, but more a form of Fae that assumed the role of pop culture versions of angels and demons. They are the fable forms, drawing from the collective beliefs of humanity instead of divine or infernal origins. Picture them as characters stepping down off the movie screen or out of the television instead of coming from Heaven or Hell.

They retain angelic or devilish features, but they can hide them with Glamour as other Fae-born creatures can, the source of magic in this setting. Many conceal their true nature but some don't, each for their own reasons.

An angel might appear as a 'perfect' woman, any blemishes or flaws airbrushed out. A demon could be an exceedingly charismatic man with a bin of the sinister about him.

They have free will as other mortals do, and they can have children with normal humans. So a succubus could be a pleasant soccer mom sort instead of a destroyer of men. An angel could find himself working for organized crime.

Angel and demon are simply terms to describe these beings, much like I use Sidhe to describe the elf-like Fae.

Does this take place on our "Earth", or an "Earth"-like planet (I'm assuming planet here, the FH campaign I'm working on exists more like the old geocentric model of existence...). If on our Earth, is it modern day (or close enough like say +/- 50 years)? Also, if our Earth, does it share current history, or are there significant changes to the past (outside of whatever brought faux-divinities here)? Is it an alternate-reality or parallel-universe kind of thing where it Earth, kind of - sort of?

Are the players allowed to play these fae-beings, required to play them, or are the PCs humans that are supposed to interact and/or investigate them?

How well integrated are these fae into "modern" society. Are they openly welcome, or do they have "reservations" or "concentration camps" where they are mostly pressured to live? Who Framed Roger Rabbit just popped into my head in terms of how they might be segregated (if that's the case) from "normal" society--not that I'm picturing your campaign idea as a cartoon.

If you browse recent threads in the Fantasy Hero forum, you will find numerous threads by Steve laying out this setting he's been working on. They will doubtless answer many of your questions - and raise many more.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that UFO and "Alien" fay are also inevitable

Does this take place on our "Earth", or an "Earth"-like planet (I'm assuming planet here, the FH campaign I'm working on exists more like the old geocentric model of existence...). If on our Earth, is it modern day (or close enough like say +/- 50 years)? Also, if our Earth, does it share current history, or are there significant changes to the past (outside of whatever brought faux-divinities here)? Is it an alternate-reality or parallel-universe kind of thing where it Earth, kind of - sort of?

Are the players allowed to play these fae-beings, required to play them, or are the PCs humans that are supposed to interact and/or investigate them?

How well integrated are these fae into "modern" society. Are they openly welcome, or do they have "reservations" or "concentration camps" where they are mostly pressured to live? Who Framed Roger Rabbit just popped into my head in terms of how they might be segregated (if that's the case) from "normal" society--not that I'm picturing your campaign idea as a cartoon.

This takes place on an alternate version of Earth that diverged from our history back in the 1960s.

Here is the first posting I did on Aquarian Age that I called Arrival Day.

Since then, as Lucius said, I've posted a lot of topics on the setting I am working up. If you search for "Aquarian Age" you'll find most of the relevant stuff.