Darkness Powers

SSJ6Boomer

Looking to differentiate the Darkness powers for my Demon character. His speciality is Darkness, and I want it to go as follows:

• Demons can create and manipulate a mysterious dark substance to enhance both their offensive and defensive abilities. It has been shown to form various weapons and to protect them from attacks that would otherwise cause serious injury. It can also be morphed into various shapes. They can use their darkness to piece together an injured demon's body and mend grave wounds, but are unable to regenerate destroyed hearts and any damage sustained accumulates unless one of them are similar to an immortal. They may also use their own darkness to form wings, helicopter like blades, or simply for levitation, allowing them to fly.

Speaking as the DM. Also want there to be a nullification property to the darkness as well as have the character be able to shoot it in potent blasts. What raw stats would I set up for that? I’m new to the system & don’t exactly know what to put down. (I.e - Blast: 10d6 etc)

Looks like you are looking for a multipower framework.  Variable Power Pool is... a stop sign power build for a good reason.  Stats would be set be the campaign.  One good thing about a multipower framework, you can add more powers cheap even if you can't use all the powers at the same time

In Hero, you have to separate the visual element from the functional element, especially during the build phase.

Functionally, this is simply a shapeable, adaptive force, which can be used by its wielder for a wide variety of effects:

--protection:  Power Def (maybe), Resist Prot, Damage Negation, arguably Damage Reduction, but that doesn't fit as well.  Damage Reduction applies AFTER defenses, so I tend to treat it as an aspect of the character's physique.  You're putting this as an outer defensive layer.

--healing:  probably should get a Limited Power limitation...only works on creatures of darkness.  It gets the Resurrection option;  I might toss in a -1/4 limitation for the "not if the heart is destroyed" but that's mostly pointless.  When is the heart destroyed?  Also, it isn't really going to be meaningful, because "only works on creatures of darkness" is a major limitation on the healing...probably -1.  Another small limitation won't change the cost that much.  

--the rest is just what it is.  Blast or RKA, a blade suggests an HKA or could be an RKA No Range (if the demon logically can't apply its STR, it's an RKA No Range), Flight that might get the Restrainable limitation.

Other than the healing, it's not functionally different from, say, an electromagnetic manipulator, at least until you get into some pretty specific interactions like Vulnerabilities and Susceptibilities.  Or perhaps that Aura Of Menacing Darkness might be worth an extra die when the demon cares to make a Presence Attack.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to struggle to read it because of the gray scale, but once I got through it, I realized what you’ve described is a Lantern Ring. So there’s two ways to do it, and both were covered, either:

An MPF, or multiple MPFs, as applicable. For example, you can put all three flight powers into a single MPF, all “melee” shapes into an MPF, and all range damage, etc. Second thing, remember that healing in HERO is very expensive, by design. 

As a writer, and a DM, this special effect is lacking. I’d be looking for a lot more definition, clearer examples, were there famous demons who had signature abilities? Things to think on.