Help Constructing a power

elkovash

Hi,

I'm trying to make a super power with the SFX of, Absorbing Kinetic energy from objects and applying it to other objects as a means of defence and attack.

I've given them a Blast for idle uses of the power (like juggling a ball to absorb it's kinetic energy for later use), but I wanted to also give them something that scaled with the velocity of objects, people, attacks, and such to make temporarily stronger attacks.

At first I looked at recoverable, boostable charges for a second blast power. Then I tried to model it as an absorb that aided a blast power (for when they throw pebbles or whatever at super fast speeds) but I had difficulty figuring out how to add in a layer of defence that didn't just make the character virtually invincible (defensive absorb is a bit too much persistant defence for what I'm after) 

A friend suggested making an Aid that was linked to the Block action which I really liked the sound of, but now I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to build a proportional framework so the aid is stronger the more DC's in the attack or something.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on how to refine any of these? or perhaps something else I've just totally missed?

Thanks in advance.

Is it important that the game's mechanics reflect the character's process, or is simply having an appropriate outcome sufficient? Because you're absolutely right that modeling this Power so that the game's mechanics are doing what the character is doing is hard. Faking it, on the other hand, is way easier.

So if outcome is enough, it seems like this can be simulated by applying a Limitation to the Blast so as to make it a partially limited Power (see E61 366). For example: Kinetic Charge: Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points) plus Blast +2d6 (10 Active Points); Only On The First Phase After Which The Character Was The Victim Of A Successful Physical Attack (-1) plus +2d6 Blast (10 Active Points), Only During The First Turn After Which The Character Was The Victim Of A Successful Physical Attack (-½) plus +2d6 Blast (10 Active Points), Only During The First Minute After Which The Character Was The Victim Of A Successful Physical Attack (-¼). Total: 60 points. [4+1+1+1 END]

In other words, Kinetic Ken is shot by one of Gungirl's bullets. On Kinetic Ken's next Phase, he can loose a 14d6 Kinetic Charge. Starting the Phase after that and until the same Segment next Turn during which he was shot by Gungirl, Kinetic Ken can loose a 12d6 Kinetic Charge. And for 48 more seconds after that, Kinetic Ken can loose a 10d6 Kinetic Charge.

Then adjust the Kinetic Charge's damage and Limitation values to suit your campaign. (Also, Kinetic Ken's player should be reminded to not take it personally if one of Ken's allies, before combat begins, punches Ken in the face.)

Thanks for your suggestions, It's prompted me to look into some other options I hadn't considered.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll do this by skipping the whole boost thing and instead just building his Blasts at full power, but then also giving him an Endurance reserve with limited recovery. That way he can only use the full power of his blasts if he's blocked enough attacks to have the END to pay for using all the AP in the blast!