+0 Advantage -0 Limitation

Sicarius

Question

I sometimes see in the rules something like "the player could be allowed to take a -0 perceivable Limitation", or "not worth more than a +0 Advantage".  

Other than being a descriptor of the power or a function of the special effect does this have any other in game effect?

I am interpreting it as flavor text rather than something which alters the rules.  Truth is I'm confused because I'm thinking of it as follows and I'm betting I'm wrong. 

Example: The Torch could have a -0 Limitation that his flames are perceivable or a +0 Advantage that his flames can provide light in the dark. :confused:

1 answer to this question

Hello!

The short version (without referencing the text) is that a Limitation defines a power, and an Advantage enhances the efficacy of a power; the use case you’re referencing speaks to the special effect of a power.

For example, a -0 Limitation (or a limitation worth no points) means that something that would otherwise be worth points becomes flavor text for an ability, but it’s also a permanent fixture. So if it has -0 Perceivable, it always generates a roll if the player attempts to be sneaky, which for fire makes complete sense. A +0 Advantage is rarer, but similarly is doing something that reasonably aligns to the special effect.

Let me know if that answers the question, or if you would like to deep dive on the topic, you can always post your question to the broader Hero System Discussion forum and the rest of the community can weigh in. 

Edited, now that I’ve eaten and I’m not merely existing between meetings: Your example, where it can have a -0 Perceivable Limitation, or, a +0 Provides Light Advantage, is actually an “and” construction; those two things aren’t mutually exclusive, so both can exist simultaneously and in fact, support each other. Just an additional point of consideration.