Help on trying to make a mist "creature"

slaughterj

(I've got the Bestiary and am awaiting MMM by way of background.)

I'm trying to build a mist "creature" like that in Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser story Ill Met in Lankhmar, and am encountering some difficulties. Namely, the "creature" has a mist body, whose tendrils grapple and slow up those with its grasp, strangling its targets, and seems to have more "slowing" capacity as you get closer to its center. The body's mist-like tendrils can be cut but would seem unable to be grabbed.

A few paths I have explored have included:

1. the hydra model, with duplication, to enable multiple tendrils grabbing multiple targets, but this is problematic since it really doesn't try to be able to grab a specific target more or less, based on other targets present (compared with a hydra which could attack 1 person with all its heads)

2. the amorphous horror model, since many of the powers are basically applicable, but doesn't have a multiple attack method

3. change environment over an area limited by where it is at (maybe with an "explosion" limitation), to reduce movement rates, but that doesn't do the grappling itself

4. handle the grappling by various methods including "accurate" on STR, or some other area effect or explosion advantage

5. trying to have it unhurt except at its centerpoint by silver, thus the tendrils can be cut to free one from the grapple, but that doesn't harm the creature or stop further grapple attempts - not sure how to handle that...

I'm really looking to "stat" this thing out, so as to both be able to battle characters, but also to have the points worked out for summoning purposes.

How about a drain on Running and/or DEX plus perhaps a small entangle and change environment with minuses to PER rolls?

Give the drain/entangle area effect "explosive" ie: it loses one step for each hex outwards from the centre and personal immunity (so the creature is unaffected) and 0 END or (possibly) inherent, with the further limitation "can be blocked (-1/2).

The creature itself should probably have desolid (not through solid barriers, -1/2 and not versus silver)

You might also want to give it limited flight so it can float around.

That way, anyone trying to get at the creature to harm it has to fight their way to the centre of the effect, getting colder and slower as they go, or maybe getting entangled - but they can do it as long as they half move and block successfully.

Should do the trick.

cheers, Mark

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. The entangle seems like a good mechanic to try out, maybe with an "explosive" like effect (the creature is much more spread out than the 1 hex step-down works for though). I included desolid similar to as described above, and figure I'd do by fiat what the Bestiary did with that regarding "affects" real world on the entangle.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Change Environment that reduces inches of movement, with the Reduced by Range limitation, defined as getting weaker the further from the center you are.

An Explosion Suppress vs Movement (all at once +2) would do it too.

Interesting idea on the Suppress, I'll have to check that out in comparison to the Change Environment. The Change Environment is pretty good, but has a few little issues, like the way you buy up all movement (though not teleport, in this particular case).