Personal Memory Control

altamaros

Hi Great HeroDom

Iv'e got a NPC with the following abilities :

The NPC is a assassin cyborg (how original !) with a partially electronic memory. He's part of a murder organisation (a bit like I.C.E. in 4ed Dark Champions). Each time the NPC is assigned to a mission, he follows this path :

1 - execute the mission (which is more or less easy to do)

2 - upload his memories of the mission to a central server for verification (and give a proof to the customer).

3 - Erase his memories (electronic and organic) of the event through nanotech so it will be impossible for anyone to probe his mind/memories or confront him with a lie detector.

4 - The NPC will eventually be able to get back his memory later by downloading it from the server.

How to build this in Hero terms ?

any ideas ?

D.

Actually, steps 3 & 4 sound like a minor mental transform to me. Person -> Person with gaps in his memory (step 3); then define the method of healing to 'restore from backup' (step 4).

Here's a write-up:

Incriminating Memory Eraser: Minor Transform 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points) (Transform Criminal into Criminal with no memory of a specific crime, Healed by reloading memories with the Eraser), Transform applies to EGO (+1/4), Improved Target Group (Remove memories of any set of events; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (32 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3 1/4), OAF Immobile Fragile (Large, cumbersome machine; -2 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), No Range (-1/2)

Active points: 32, Real cost: 4

Note that this write-up is for a big device (like the machines from Total Recall) and it will take hours to perform the erasure (1 hour per 3 EGO of the NPC).

Note : CrosshairCollie; the ability is clearly a bonus so the limitation trick cannot work, sorry but thanks for the help.

Zornwill : i don't exactly catch your solution.

Originally posted by Intrope

Incriminating Memory Eraser: Minor Transform 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points) (Transform Criminal into Criminal with no memory of a specific crime, Healed by reloading memories with the Eraser), Transform applies to EGO (+1/4), Improved Target Group (Remove memories of any set of events; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (32 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3 1/4), OAF Immobile Fragile (Large, cumbersome machine; -2 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), No Range (-1/2)

Active points: 32, Real cost: 4

I like this write up but it doesn't really solve the problem. i would like the character to have control over his own memory so the transform would have to apply to himself which is something forbidden by Fred.

A shapeshift vs mental sense group doesn't really do the trick either (i have trouble to see how Shapeshift vs Mental Sense Group would interact with Telepathy)

Note that this write-up is for a big device (like the machines from Total Recall) and it will take hours to perform the erasure (1 hour per 3 EGO of the NPC).

Glad you caught the reference;) ; i had the idea watching a reportage on the brand new californian governor. what it's like to see mixed extracts from "Total Recall", "Eraserhead" and "Terminator" at the same time...

Originally posted by altamaros

I like this write up but it doesn't really solve the problem. i would like the character to have control over his own memory so the transform would have to apply to himself which is something forbidden by Fred.

[/b]

Whoops! I forgot that transform isn't supposed to be applied to oneself (and then I had to read the whole power description--twice--to find where it said that). OTOH, it's pretty clear that the no-self-transform rule is to prevent transform from being used to gain powers/skills/points, so I'd probably just bend it here and allow this self-effecting transform.

Lightray's Shapeshift idea might be better, but you'd need to buy it as Inherent (so that it can't be dispelled); after all, the character doesn't possess the memories any more.

Originally posted by altamaros

Zornwill : i don't exactly catch your solution.

Well, the idea WAS that the cyborg assassin is a Summoned being, Summoned by the computer which reads and gets data from it. At each Summoning the cyborg is a new being (which is a bit of hand-waving), so it can have no memory.

However, I think you could do it differently even if vaguely on the same lines:

1 - build the cyborg as you want it to be

2 - build an AI for the base, the AI that will read and change the cyborg's memory - build it as any normal AI, whatever capability you want

3 - now, give the AI Telepathy, usable with machine minds; make sure it has enough to read, write, and CHANGE memories - that's a normal 5th property of high "damage" with Telepathy

This way the AI can go ahead and alter the cyborg's memories as needed. It will require a trip to the AI, and I think your SFX will work.