Help me Naval Architects... you're our only hope...

SuperPheemy

For once I'm a little at a loss. I'm trying to develop a few starships for my game (comic book space opera) and am having the devil of a time trying to figure out what would be reasonable for characteristic values.

For example, what would an average DEF for a civilian freighter vs. a combat-capable ship?

What would the damage range for most weapons be?

How fast would the average capital ship be?

Everything I've tried to work out so far ends up very lopsided. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

Re: Help me Naval Architects... you're our only hope...

Originally posted by SuperPheemy

For once I'm a little at a loss. I'm trying to develop a few starships for my game (comic book space opera) and am having the devil of a time trying to figure out what would be reasonable for characteristic values.

For example, what would an average DEF for a civilian freighter vs. a combat-capable ship?

What would the damage range for most weapons be?

How fast would the average capital ship be?

Everything I've tried to work out so far ends up very lopsided. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

Is there a particular type of ship from either movies or Tv you're trying to emulate? If starting entirely from scatch, I would try to design a generic fighter ship so as to establish a baseline. Now, you could use the Fighter from SH, but perhaps you wanna have the satisfaction/agony of doing it yourself.

Okay,... so once you have your fighter, you can base other designs on that. Just don't go too far from the specs. By this, I mean to go from a fighter to a stealth fighter to a destroyer, to a frigate, etc...... Not from a civilian tramp freighter straight to a warship. This will help continuity and lower any disparity between ship classifications.

One last thing, never EVER equip your ship with 'star trek' shield generators. Those things NEVER hold up.;)