SURPRISE ATTACK - If an attack is not perceived at all before, but perceived only during the attack, is it then not classed as a Surprise Attack?

Gary S

Question

I understand that attacks from behind, above, invisible etc will often be a Surprise as they basically likely not perceivable before and even during the attack.

HOW ABOUT PERCEPTION ROLL DURING ATTACK TO CAUSE IT NOT TO BE A "SURPRISE"? 

If I were to lie in wait near a road behind a large tree (completely hidden) to attempt an AMBUSH (one of the potential surprise conditions), the intended victim is walking along and doesnt perceive me before the attack at all (no warning sights or sounds picked up - perhaps no roll allowed by GM, or even failed perception roll by player at this time).

I then declare to the Game Master that I wish to do a half move and attack (and declare my intended skill levels, weapon type etc). The target is OUT OF COMBAT up until this time.

"DURING" my direct half move up to attack, the target player declares they wish to do a sight targeting perception roll with "NO TIME", and thus they easily see this warrior heading towards them with an axe raised high just about to crack their head open. Does this mean that spotting the in progress attack therefore is without Surprise (ie no 1/2 DCV, no x2 Stun out of combat, and opponent gets a phase 12 action as usual?

For an ambush to be a surprise, must it require a failed perception roll, or be from behind etc. ?

Is it enough that at the beginning of my phase when I ran from full cover and attacked that the target was Out of Combat and unawares - hence was a Surprise attack, or must it also be not perceived DURING the attack as well.

1 answer to this question

There is no "during the attack" - a Surprise Attack is one that the target is not aware of at the time that the Attack Action is made.  If there is time before the Attack Action in which the target becomes aware of the impending attack (e.g. the target makes a PER Roll to notice the enemy breaking from cover and closing the distance to the target), then the attack is not a Surprise Attack.