NASA Scientist Dreams of Obvious Origin Event

DShomshak

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/1200803124/nasa-osiris-rex-mission-bring-home-asteroid-rocks-returns-utah

The RL news story: On Sunday, the OSIRIS-REx space probe swings past Earth to drop off a capsure holding material collected from the asteroid Bennu. Pretty good origin material right there, but one of the scientists mentions a few odd dreams about the mission. One sounds straight out of a comic book, lacking only the super-powers one would inevitably gain as a result of the described object and action.

(The text of the linked story gives more information, but the "listen" draws more attention to the dream.)

Enjoy. And if you end up creating a character based on this for your game, you're welcome!

Dean Shomshak

Dean Shomshak

Oh, hey. As a convenience for people who don't want to read through the whole article, here are the relevant paragraphs:

The anxiety of the mission's critical moments often gives him strange, vivid dreams. In one dream, for example, he found himself in a gift shop on the rocky asteroid.

"I was like, 'How did I get this job? I'm not supposed to be selling Bennu memorabilia,'" Lauretta recalls, saying that his dream-self then thought, "If we can build a gift shop, why am I stressing so much about getting all this sample? I could just pick some up right now."

In a more recent dream, with the day of the sample's return drawing ever closer, his dream-self opened up the capsule and saw, sitting on top of the black asteroid dirt, a shining green gem. "And I grabbed it and popped it in my mouth," he says, laughing.

In real life, no one will be tasting the asteroid rocks, although Lauretta says they might get a whiff at some point. He expects a smell like rotten eggs or ammonia.

"I would never want to touch it or eat it," says Lauretta, "because we worked so hard to get it."

Dean Shomshak