My ALIEN WARS review.

Herolover

(Warning: Some spoiler information below)

(I am not going to go into details. I you want that buy the book.) SUPPORT HERO!!!

Going into buying ALIEN WARS I really didn’t now what to expect. I knew that it took place before TERRAN EMPIRE and that it dealt with the Xenovore wars that almost made humanity extinct. Ever since I had seen the Xenovore write-up in HERO BESTIARY I had been waiting to find out more information on these baddies. So, I picked up ALIEN WARS.

The first part of the book deals with the lead-up to the time period of the ALIEN WARS. You are not hand-held step by step through this section, but instead the major events that lead up to the political situation before the war are highlighted. If you want to know how humanity leaves earth and settles colonies wait for SOLAR HERO. If however, you want to know how the political situation came to be before the war started then you will be very happy. It has some good writing, some bad writing, but it is easy to understand and makes sense.

The next part of the book deals specifically with the war which is broken down into 4 parts. The four parts that the war is broken down into do make sense. However, there is sparse information on what happened during that time of the war. Only the very major events are highlighted something like the above pre-history of the war. On the one hand this is really good because as GM I am left to my own devices, on the other hand this book is about the ALIEN WARS and there be more detailed information.

So the first 50 pages deal with history directly before the war and the war itself. Not much for a time period covering nearly 100 years. This section could have been aided by a nice timeline, but none are present. Also, the maps provided are, in my opinion, hard to read and inadequate.

The next 50 pages deal with character creation, game elements, package deals, and base setting information. In the basic setting information you are given details on tech level, general travel times, and a very rough life in the universe section. There are not many package deals, but the ones given are necessary. (I would suggest you should STAR HERO).

The next 40 pages deal the United Earth (UE) Military, weapons, technology, and equipment. The military section is more than enough for an RPG, but will leave some wanting more. The tech level portrayed is something along the lines of that seen in the ALIENS movie. Some will say, “There should be more advanced items,†but who can really say. I personally do not have a problem with the tech level portrayed, but laser, gauss, and more advanced weaponry are not really found in ALIEN WARS or not till late in the era.

This section does have writeups of all the military equipment and benefits greatly from a Price List. If you are looking for a lot of equipment though you will need to pick up the SPACERS TOOLKIT.

The next 10 pages deal the player and common knowledge of the Xenovore race. As would be expected it is sparse and breaks down the knowledge available by time period.

The last 30 pages are the GM’s Vault of which 14 deal with the hidden history of the Xenovore race, package deals, starships, etc.

Overall.

I am not sure really what to think of this book, it isn’t bad, but I find it hard to give it a very high rating. I expected humanity to be pushed to the brink of destruction, but I never really get that sense. I think I expected what we usually get out of RPG’s or stories: A combined humanity beaten upon by a ruthless, intelligent foe. Instead ALIEN WARS is about a disjointed-humanity that fights among itself before finally destroying the threat that faces it. (Honestly though, this is probably far more realistic.)

You don’t have to have STAR HERO or the SPACERS TOOLKIT to aid in playing ALIEN WARS, but it will be very helpful and again honestly most who buy ALIEN WARS will already have STAR HERO and the SPACERS TOOLKIT.

It seems ALIEN WARS was written more as a “guide to the GM†then anything else. Major elements and ideas are presented, but much of the detail is left to the GM. I do like this, but wish they had proved better maps and a timeline.

I am disappointed in the Xenovores. I expected a lot more ruthless and technological based foe. I expected someone equal to humanity if not more so. However, I never get that sense and get the feel that the Xenovores act more animalistic than sentient. You never really “understand†the Xenovores, which I guess is good for an alien species.

The good point about the Xenovores is that you, as the GM, are left with a LOT to play with.

Will I use ALIEN WARS?

Generally speaking I think campaigns in the TERRAN EMPIRE would be better. However, I have a player that recently saw the Battlestar Galactica mini-series and wants a campaign based upon it. ALIEN WARS, in some ways, reminds me of that type of campaign.

If you like ALIENS or STARSHIP TROOPERS, don’t mind coming up with some details as the GM then this is right up your ally.

I wanted to add that I think the subject matter of this book "Military sci-fi" is one that either you like or you don't. If you like the military sci-fi thing, then I think ALIEN WARS gives you a LOT to work with. In fact, I do plan on using it for a cmapaign.